Do I need a seat back brace for this specific seat for AI ?

stevepoe

Do I need a seat back brace for this specific seat? here are the numbers on the side of it. Sparco ..... sparco ultra... FIA 8855-1999 CS916 98

I would suggest reading the rules for the class you are running. If that does not result in the information you are seeking, posting in the AI forum is probably your best bet.

I've seen the pictures of your car, it looks like it is being built quite nicely. Hope it performs equilly well on the track.

Jason

Steve:

No, you don't, since the seat is FIA homoloated, a certification that is accepted by all sanctioning bodies in road racing in the US, including NASA. I hate to bring it up, but in this regard the SCCA rules are a bit more thorough (and better accessible), albeit still a bit confusing.

CGR 18.3.5. states that "seats homologated to and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855-1999 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll bar structure."

Particularly fiberglass seats should under no circumstance be drilled in order to mount a back plate. Aluminum is rigid, and will break, thus if someone has a Kirkey seat, it needs to be supported. In contrast, a fiberglass seat is designed to flex and thus to absorb some of the energy (the rest is done by the safety harness) the body is exposed to in case of rapid deccelleration. Drill a fiberglass seat and it might crack when put to the test. Try to sell one that has been drilled and you'll find out it is absolutely sale-proof and voids the manufucturer's warranty and product liability.

With kind regards,

Edited by Guest

I had the same question concerning my Corbeau seat (also FIA homologated). I spoke with Lawrence a while ago, and he confirmed that as long as the seat is FIA approved, no seat back brace is required.

thanks, I thought I didn't need one, just wanted to be sure.As if I don't have enough to do this week to get the car ready.

from the GCR:

15.5.22 Seat Back Support

A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a

crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects

should be placed is such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in

a high impact crash. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is

recommend that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this,

as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception shall be made for those seats that

the manufacturer specifies that no seatback brace should be used, and carries and FIA

approval rating 8855-1999 that certifies the seat for use without a seatback brace.