miata hpde question

gpeluso

I am a racer,but bringing one of my friends to an HPDE event. He has a 1994 miata with a KIRK rollbar. He does not have a hardtop...can he just use the stock seatbelts with the roof up? Please let me know. He wants to attend VIR in Feb..

Greg

Having run a rag top the last couple of years. Head and Helmet must be lower that the roll bar. Bar must be DOM steel. If he runs with the top down he should have arm restrains for himself and instructor. Stock lap belts are fine.

I think that NASA requires that the top be down.

I know SE wants you to pass the "broomstick rule" (head below the bar-windshield line) and run top down (since the top provides minimal protection in a rollover and the top supports can become impaling devices)

haven't heard of arm restraints being required, nor aftermarket belts

pretty sure MA runs things the same way, but you'd probably want to email someone over there to be sure. things can vary between regions and some stuff is enforced by the track, not NASA itself....

(and I'm remebering this from hearing it from a buddy that ran with both groups a few years ago in a 99 Miata)