To SHAVE, or not to SHAVE, that is the QUESTION..

The Twanksta

I have powerslot rotors on my car, with hawk HP Plus pads. I know I have boiled my brakes a couple times. my brakes are starting to pulsate and dont sem to bite quite as hard. Is this caused from the boiled brake fluid or are the rotors just warped...

But in any case, can you turn slotted rotors? Or should I just wait a little longer and buy a whole new rotor/pads when the pads wear down?

The car has Motul RBF-600 fluid already. It does need to be bled. The car is a steet/track car(mostly street right now) and the pads have done me well. It only started doing this a few weeks after the track and only under high speed braking. I just wasnt sure if it is a warped rotor or the fluid??

So i guess question #1? Do you think it is just the fluid needs to be bled?

Question #2? just cause im curious, can you turn slotted rotors?

The pulsation is definitely the rotors. We don't normally turn rotors, since it removes material, thus making the rotor more prone to warping =)

You might have glazed the brake pads; pull them off and take a look. If so, scrub them against some concrete to take the glazing off.

Yes, slotted rotors can be turned, and doing so will likely cure the pulsation.

Brake fluids like Motul still need to be bled/flushed periodically since the boiling point drops significanty as water is absorbed from the atmosphere. If the fluid isn't reasonably fresh it can't be expected to have the same high boiling point it did when new.

Thanks for the help guys, Ill look to see if the pad is glazed or not and bleed my fluid and see if that helps. if not ill just live with it and put all new brakes on before my next track day:)

• National Staff

You forgot to mention what kind of car and what tires your running! Those 2 things make a huge difference!

HP+ generally do great and they are one of the best pads on the market for street/AutoX, but when you get to the track and your skill develops enough to use the brakes very effectively, the HP+ pads will tend to fade on you pretty badly and the glaze!

Sounds like you need a new set of cheap rotors, flushed fluid, and dedicated track pads like blues!

Well someone stole my truck right before x-mas. Im hoping to get enough back so that i can buy another honda for a DD and cage my current "race" car!

it is a 97 honda civic HB and im running falken azenis. Once the car is set to be a permanent track car ill upgrade to a more track oriented pad(hopefully within next brake change! Ill probably stick with powerslot rotors since they are somewhat cheap for my car and seem to stop nicely, the brembo blanks would be my next choice.

Ill also upgrade to some toyo RA-1's

Go into StopTech's web site , you can learn alot about your brakes there .

A possible the reason you feel a pulsation on the pedal is from pad transfer and skipping from running your pads past their temp. range . I had this problem with HP+ pads . and switched over to DTC60. they can handle twice the heat but remember that your rotor is still going to show signs of overheating if you are hard on the brakes . These pads are expensive ,and have a high friction level . I am told to through them out at the half way point .

To clean up the rotor and remove the build up on my rotors I run the stock pads around on the street and this does a good job of cleaning them up . Be sure to go through the break in when going back to the pad you use on the track . Performance Friction has a good selection of pads also . I think I would like to try this also .

You should blead your brakes often . I blead after every day . and this keeps fresh clean fluid in the caliper .

Remember , everyone uses the brakes a little different , so you need to find what works for you . This is my biggest maintanance expence .