We're coming to ST-2

DanElam

Hide the men and sheep: a bunch of top FFR racers are moving over to run ST-2. Looking forward to going toe to toe with our fellow V-8 powered friends starting with VIR.

They are, but the FFR cars under the spec rules (which PTA requires the FFR cars to follow) has up to a 15% variability in performance through no fault of the drivers and/or builders. Many of us had been pushing for some rule changes to improve equality and safety. None of those changes were made which means PTA inherits the same problems.

The ST classes neatly solved nearly all of our problems. ST-1 clobbers the cars because of the (lack of) aerodynamics, but there are some guys building FFR ST-1 cars just for fun. ST-2 has power numbers that we can meet with minimal changes to our current cars and the weight modifiers allow us to run full cages without being penalized. We think the cars can be competitive in ST-2 where the lower HP minimizes the aero penalties the Cobras bring. There are some other minuses, but we'll know pretty quickly since some of the top FFR drivers are moving over.

FFR also has had much in the way of contingency programs so hopefully the ST classes will more lucrative.

lol! Nope. Mr. Powers we already had you pegged! Looks like 10-15 cars have already indicated they will move over so it does look like ST-2 is off to a good start.

lol! Nope. Mr. Powers we already had you pegged! Looks like 10-15 cars have already indicated they will move over so it does look like ST-2 is off to a good start.

Just remember that if you race under ST2 you must comply with ALL safety and other requirements outlined in the CCR and ST2 supplement.

Looks like 10-15 cars have already indicated they will move over so it does look like ST-2 is off to a good start.

This is turning out to be kind of interesting. Great start for a brand new class.

I did some quick calculations and found that in the 10 SCCA National races that in ran last yera (sans the Run Offs) T1 averaged 7.3 starters.

Memphis 1 starter (me, myself and I)

Summit Point 12

Gingerman 6

Nelson Ledges 7

Beaverun 6

Watkins Glen 15

Nelson Ledges 2

Pocono (Sat) 10

Pocono (Sun) 9

Nelson Ledges 5

Other than the "big" races at The Glen, Summit Point (always big because it is the first race of the year) and the double at Pocono, it looks as ST2 may have some field rivaling T1's size. Should be fun!

Kevin,

I have several (4-5) NASA race weekends marked on my calendar. Plus I am having the Viper teched next time I get it dyno'ed (early Feb). So yes, I think NASA (maybe not you, though) will see me in 2007.

I think you know what potential challenges I am facing in SCCA T1. The new throttle body restrictor took alot of ponies away from my car, and I wasn't outrunning any Corvettes with the old one. So I have to see how competitive my car is. My gut tells me not too good.

My game plan is to run 5-6 SCCA races and 4-5 NASA races. Hopefully qualify for both "Run Offs" and see what happens.

Just remember that if you race under ST2 you must comply with ALL safety and other requirements outlined in the CCR and ST2 supplement.

Umm. Ok. We were planning to do that, but you want to save us the suspense and tell us what specifically jumped out at you for us to pay attention regarding?

David, are you saying that SCCA didn't take steps to ensure your car is competitive? I...I...I am shocked. I don't know what to say. See, with ST-1, we're all bitching behind the scenes to Greg over what an advantage the Vipers already have! Screw Topeka and come to Mid-Ohio!

David,

If you compare the rules between the SCCA and NASA it becomes very clear what the intent of the rules are. Gregs rules for ST are very to the point and straight forward. There are NO Manuafacturer biasses.

You know I have driven a C5 in T1 since 1999 and most of the rule changes were in my favor and I still left and have been with NASA.

The Mid-Ohio Championships we the most fun I have had racing in a number of years!

Kevin & Dan,

I am not sure where the Viper is compared to the C5/C6. Track time will tell me more.

I did see alot from my driver's seat and didn't see where the care was 35 HP faster (that is the amount of HP the new restricter takes away from my car) than the C5s. But what do I know?

I don't think there is a manufacturer bias "over there." I do think that the decision makers can be swayed by outside sources. I think that happened earlier in the Viper/Vettes debate and the pendulum has swung the other way. Me? I just got caught in the middle. Time will tell on how this all plays out.

However, it does look like NASA has an "up and coming" race class in ST. Running against different cars (rather than a red Vette vs a balck Vette)will make things interesting. Although my family can keep up with different color cars rather than different models (wife doesn't know the difference between a Vette and a Viper! only kidding).

• 3 weeks later...

I rolled out my Factory Five Spec Racer into ST2 last weekend in NASA FL. Ran alone, but I am hoping that will change soon. Glad to see some other FFC guys here.

Umm. Ok. We were planning to do that, but you want to save us the suspense and tell us what specifically jumped out at you for us to pay attention regarding?

David, are you saying that SCCA didn't take steps to ensure your car is competitive? I...I...I am shocked. I don't know what to say. See, with ST-1, we're all bitching behind the scenes to Greg over what an advantage the Vipers already have! Screw Topeka and come to Mid-Ohio!

My guess would be the full 6 point cage that regular FFC cars are missing, although I think that one of the reason you're switching over is to run a safer cage in the first place.

I rolled out my Factory Five Spec Racer into ST2 last weekend in NASA FL. Ran alone, but I am hoping that will change soon. Glad to see some other FFC guys here.

there are quite a few guys running ST1/2 in the Southeast, might be worth the tow up North a bit

Ken, we're bringing a contingent of ST-2 a$$-whupping to Road Atlanta! We'll see how the ST-2 formulas work on a great big track like RA.

Actually, it looks like SE is going to have a pretty good contingent of FFR-based ST-2 cars. Some news cars are getting done and it looks like all/most of the FFR cars in the SE will be running ST-2 this year.

Maybe a dumb question, but if I have a 2007 competition license and an annual on my car, what do I need to run NASA Southeast at Road Atlanta? Do I need to "join" the Southeast region or am I good to go?

Maybe a dumb question, but if I have a 2007 competition license and an annual on my car, what do I need to run NASA Southeast at Road Atlanta? Do I need to "join" the Southeast region or am I good to go?

I think all you have to do is sign up on the SE webpage, pay your entry fee, show up at RA and you're good to go!

I think all you have to do is sign up on the SE webpage, pay your entry fee, show up at RA and you're good to go!

Yeah, if you have your license and annual you should be good to go. Just don't forget to bring them all to the event.