Help w/ Strut Decision?

Rook

I'm buying new struts along with the full on Maximum Motorsports setup for my Mustang.

My choices for struts, considering that the setup will only work with Coil-overs and thusly comes with a conversion kit, lies between Konis or Bilsteins. Everyone I talk to says Bilsteins are superior due to warranty and quality, BUT the Konis are adjustable.

With performance being absolute priority, based on the experience of those here, which would be a better decision? Failing that, would anyone like to suggest a coil-over strut that I'd be better off with?

I have a 2000 v6 Mustang w/ 04 Cobra IRS.

I'd do the Koni's because adjustability is important, especially for when you need to soften it up for either the street or when it rains.

I have the MM Bilstein coilovers on my 93. They offer great ride quality (for a Mustang) and perform on the track. I really like them. I have the MM treatment except for the adjustable rear sway bar.

My buddy has the Griggs GR-40 on his 86 GT with the Konis. He likes them, but doesn't adjust them. If I recall, the fronts are on full stiff and the rear full soft.

The car rides nice on the streets, but I think mine is better

If you are getting one of the custom Bil's from MM go that way then MM-1/2/3, if you are just getting the HD's then the Koni's might be a better option. Just be prepared to shell out the cost for a new set of Koni's every few years. I've run the HD's MM 1/2/3 and am currently using the 3 in front and 2 in rear.

Have you had bad experiences with Konis? I'd go with Bilsteins but I'd rather have adjustability for the track. Well, once I get good enough to make use of it, heh

Have you had bad experiences with Konis? I'd go with Bilsteins but I'd rather have adjustability for the track. Well, once I get good enough to make use of it, heh

No, I have not, I don't use Koni's. Just everyone I talk to that races Koni's have to replace them on a pretty regular basis. If I can get the same/simliar performance out of Bils and they last longer, why bother with Koni? I get enough track time to really fine tune the shocks for various tracks/conditions so the adjustability would be wasted on my car. I have enough to adjust w/ alignment, sway bars, brake bias tire temps, ride height, spring rates, etc, shocks would be the last thing I'd try to adjust.

• 3 weeks later...

I agonized over this decision too and came to the conclusion that I didn't feel like I really knew enough to be adjusting 1 or two clicks out of a strut here and there to be effective. I went for a set of Bilsteins that were custom valved for my weight and spring rates...

Adjustability isn't all it's cracked up to be. Most people set the car and then leave it alone. In reality, most drivers have no idea how to adjust their shocks, and are running on shocks that are too stiff anyway. Adjustability is a good thing when you can pair it with a shock dyno so you know what is actually happening when you turn that knob.

In short, forget the adjustability feature and pick the shock that is better. My guess would be Bilsteins. Here's the easy way.... What are the winners of your class running?