Qualifying for the Nationals

Z06RACER

Last year to qualify you had to participate in 5 events. You could run 5 different car classes to qualify and then run any class you choose in the Nationals. Will that be the case again this year???

If i start out in ST-1 and do 3 races, then do some engine modifications and run 2 more races in SU( my 5 races) will I have the option of entering either group as long as the car is legal? Or will I have to do 2 more races in ST1 or 3 more races in SU to qualify??

• National Staff

You should be able to run 5 races in any class to qualify and run in whatever class(es) you want at the Championships. I believe that TT events will not count toward qualifying for racing at the Championships this year, but I don't think that decision has been finalized yet. It is official that races will not qualify a driver to run in TT at the Championships (like last year).

You should be able to run 5 races in any class to qualify and run in whatever class(es) you want at the Championships. I believe that TT events will not count toward qualifying for racing at the Championships this year, but I don't think that decision has been finalized yet. It is official that races will not qualify a driver to run in TT at the Championships (like last year).

So what you're saying Greg is that if I want to run TTS and ST-2 at Nationals I need to get 5 TT events AND 5 ST events? I'd better get crackin!

• National Staff

So what you're saying Greg is that if I want to run TTS and ST-2 at Nationals I need to get 5 TT events AND 5 ST events? I'd better get crackin!

Unless Bryan decides to let TT events count toward racing again, you are correct.

We don't want "new" TT drivers or racers that haven't participated with NASA TT (learning about the driving behavior differences between TT and racing via participation and our download sessions) competing in TT at the Championships. This one is a done deal and posted in the TT Rules. As well, we don't want rookie drivers that have only had one race ever racing at the Championships. So, unless Bryan comes up with some other type of rule limiting racers to non-Provisional Licenses or something, it is most likely that this is how the event rules will end up. But, again, it will be Bryan's call, and may not be posted until the 2007 Championships Rules are posted.

I dunno. The car isn't even finished yet and I'm already breaking stuff...

I actually agree with the rules as they stand. I'm kind of an odd case and I certainly can manage to put a few laps down in TT if I want to run TT at Nationals. I just wanted to make sure I understood so I don't come up on July and realize I'm screwed.

Besides, I can always TT the Explorer again to qualify for Nationals. Ironic huh?