OEM replacement shocks

shessler

How far down the list of non-adjustable no coil over modification level of performance can reasonably be expected to be legal as an OEM replacement?

I understand (or assume...) that a shock marketed as a 'performance' item, like Bilsteins, KYB's, or Tokico's will be looking at +3 (even the non-adjustable ones), but would I be looking at +3 for a Pep Boys "Heavy Duty" vs. the "Standard Commuter"?

Sadly, it will actually make the difference between a class bump or not.

Thanks

• National Staff

Shocks are really so difficult to police that we can't give any leeway on this item. If they aren't OEM or the specific aftermarket model number called for by the Manufacturer as an OEM replacement, they are going to cost the 3 points.

I was afraid that would be the case.

Oh well, anyone need some shocks, they'll fit any car (assuming you have a welder) AND they have Sense-A-Trak technology!

Only $2399.99

Just jokin, not flamin...

I ain't tellin!

No, I was just playin around with some possiblities on where my little cars would end up class wise, the Corvette would cost way too much $$$/comfort/utility to ever pretend to be competitive.

So as stuff is, if I did the math correct andput the 10 point race tires on either the Miata or the Scirocco I'm lookin at TTE car with about 5 points to spare, BUT if I was clever and didn't have to spend 3 points on shocks I could just squeeze the CRX (86 Si) into TTF.

Don't say it, I KNOW I didn't need another car, but it followed me home and was just too cute to send away.

I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime I want...

After suffering from childhood with an unknown mental disorder causing my doctor such agony , and America's obsession with classifing every male's God givin desire to compete , I have coined a new med. condition for Greg to investigate . RDD , racers deficate disorder

• National Staff
After suffering from childhood with an unknown mental disorder causing my doctor such agony , and America's obsession with classifing every male's God givin desire to compete , I have coined a new med. condition for Greg to investigate . RDD , racers deficate disorder

Are you sure you meant, "deficate" and not "deficit"? Those are definitely two disorders you wouldn't want to get mixed up.

Shocks are really so difficult to police that we can't give any leeway on this item. If they aren't OEM or the specific aftermarket model number called for by the Manufacturer as an OEM replacement, they are going to cost the 3 points.

So, the OEM shock (what came on the vehicle from the factory) is OK as long as it has the the factory part number and is standard for that vehicle model and option package and will not incur any points penalty?

• National Staff

So, the OEM shock (what came on the vehicle from the factory) is OK as long as it has the the factory part number and is standard for that vehicle model and option package and will not incur any points penalty?

It is legal as long as it is standard for the vehicle model trim/option package as listed on the table. Unless there is a specific trim package/model listed, the default is always to the base, no-frills, no options trim package. And, as long as it hasn't been modified (re-valved, gutted, etc.), it would be points-free. So, if a car is listed as a "Honda Civic", then it must take points for anything other than the base OEM shock, even if the car is an upgraded trim model that came with a better shock. If the listing in the table says "Honda Civic Si", and the Si came with a different shock than the base, trim model Civic, it can keep the different shock without points assessed.

It is legal as long as it is standard for the vehicle model trim/option package as listed on the table. Unless there is a specific trim package/model listed, the default is always to the base, no-frills, no options trim package. And, as long as it hasn't been modified (re-valved, gutted, etc.), it would be points-free. So, if a car is listed as a "Honda Civic", then it must take points for anything other than the base OEM shock, even if the car is an upgraded trim model that came with a better shock. If the listing in the table says "Honda Civic Si", and the Si came with a different shock than the base, trim model Civic, it can keep the different shock without points assessed.

So the base model Neons with the ACR option code would have to claim their factory installed Koni's since we are comparing to the most basic car available? (The ACR was never a Neon model but an option code to either the base or later highline cars)

• National Staff

So the base model Neons with the ACR option code would have to claim their factory installed Koni's since we are comparing to the most basic car available? (The ACR was never a Neon model but an option code to either the base or later highline cars)

Yes they would. I think they also have sway bar upgrades too that they need to claim.

Yes they would. I think they also have sway bar upgrades too that they need to claim.

And don't forget the springs. ACR had different springs from OEM base (albeit a relatively minor difference). In any event, chances are that you would want to change the springs, whether OEM or ACR.

• National Staff
that ruling just shafted the crap out of those cars.... getting slapped points for factory equipment has gotta suck

It actually just saved them points if they want to upgrade those parts. Last year they were listed separately one asterix higher. The shocks/springs/sways cost 7 points. So, now they can keep the ACR parts on for the 7 points, or change them out to better parts for the same 7 points. They were covered last year by the "Special Circumstances" rules, but it is cleaner this way, and classing them is easier.

I agree with Greg on this one. In fact, as a competitor who dirves a Neon, I had pointed out that the ACR package was not much more than a spring-shock-swaybar package. Moreover, under the 06 rules, the ACR was given an additonal weight penalty for no apparent reason.

As it stands now, anyone could take any Neon and prep it to ACR specs without incurring additional points beyond the ACR. Or, as Greg pointed out, both cars could add alternate springs, swaybars, and shocks and end up with the same total points. Seems much more fair to me, and in my humble opinion, similar performance packages for other makes should be treated the same. Thus, a Nissan owner (non SER) should be able to build his car to SER specs without incurring points beyond those assighed to the SER.

And one that Greg may not like to hear, likewise, my 85 (turbo) Shelby Charger should be allowed to be built to 87 Shelby Chargeer GLHS specs without incurring points beyond the GLHS.

I am a little confused about this issue. Doesn't the base classing take care of specific models point differences? Does a mustang GT have to take points for an engine change because the base mustang is a V6. Would a Mustang Cobra have to take points for the Bilsteins that come on the car when it is already base classed over the GT and V6 models?

if there was some special edition Cobra over the regular Cobra, the SE Cobra would take points for anything thats different over the regular Cobra

(assuming I read that right, which I'm pretty sure I did...)

• National Staff

These guys are correct. What you get for free on the car depends on how the model is listed in our base class lists. If it says, "Mustang Cobra", then everything that comes standard on a Mustang Cobra is free, but any options would be assessed points. If it says, "Neon ACR", then everything that came on the ACR model is free. However, since it doesn't say, "Neon ACR" any longer, and just says, "Neon", then all of the parts on the ACR version that don't come standard on a base trim package Neon get assessed points.