Intercooler Piping Clarification

Greg G.

• National Staff

I've gotten a few different questions about the piping/hose from a turbo to the intercooler, and from the intercooler to the throttle body. I want to make sure that everyone is on the same page, and is getting the same answer. I think that the slippery slope is starting to get the better of this one, and so we are going to the wording of the rules for clarification. The rule currently reads:

16) Modification of the OEM air box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/supercharger/throttle body/carburetor +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

The rule will now read on the soon to be released revision for '07 models:

16) Modification of the OEM air box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/supercharger/intercooler/throttle body/carburetor +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

The question I have always gotten was whether one had to take points for modifying the intercooler if these pipes are changed, and the answer is no. The addition of "intercooler" doesn't change anything except to clarify things a little better (since one end of the pipes/hoses in question are attached to the turbo/supercharger or the throttle body which is in the prior wording).

So, modifying this piping gets lumped in with "air intake" modification +1. The exception to this is if you don't already take the +1 for air intake, and you believe that the replacement piping you have will meet the definition in Section 6.5 for OEM replacement parts.

From Section 6.5:

Some parts that are produced by aftermarket manufacturers as generic replacement parts may not require a points assessment provided that: they are the same size and shape, and have the same functional characteristics as the OEM part, and that they provide no significant improvement in performance, longevity, or reliability. If it is determined in impound that such a part does not meet the above description, the driver may be disqualified. Consultation with the Regional TT Director prior to competition is advised for any driver using a vehicle with replacement parts that fall under this exception.

In general, I would say that just changing out an "elbow" for a silicone piece instead of a rubber piece would be ok. However, there is definitely a potential performance advantage to changing out all of the piping to differenct size piping, or less flexible (or metal/plastic hard) piping.

• National Staff
What about putting on an FMIC that is the same size as stock, but just front mounted instead of either top or side mounted?

21) Non-OEM or modified intercooler +4