HPDE Group Questions

heavychevy

#1 I have about 10 hrs seat time and reasonable track experience, but at one track only (Road Atlanta) can I start Road Atlanta in say group 2 or 3 and tracks I'm not so familiar with in groups 1 or 2? I have reached group A status for the Panoz Track days at Road Atlanta which I'm assuming are similar to the group 4 NASA track days. I turned it down because I did not have proper tires to run with the group, but will be running group A this year.

#2 How slow is group one, no I do not have to go blazing out of the gates to my fastest lap times, especially on tracks I havent driven before, but I dont want to feel like I'm taking tour laps in the car either. I'm thinking group 2 for my first time on a new track would suffice for me.

#3 Is it completely up to me to select which group I'm in during the HPDE events?

#4 Can I start in group 1 for a session and move up the next session if I want or vice versa?

Thanks.

Sounds like you're on the right track (pun intended)... I would hit up group 1 to start with, just to learn the track and show the instructor that you're not too dangerous Advise them of your situation; once you're comfy you can easily move up to group 2 or 3.

Sounds like you're on the right track (pun intended)... I would hit up group 1 to start with, just to learn the track and show the instructor that you're not too dangerous Advise them of your situation; once you're comfy you can easily move up to group 2 or 3.

Thanks.