First time, newbie

edkwok

Hi everyone,

I am going to HPDE Group 1 first time ever in Feburary. I have an Audi A4 2.0T quattro manual. I have a few questions,

1) is it true the car can not equip with spare tires?

3) Do I bring my own number? or they will provide one for me.

2) What else do I need beside helmet?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am going to HPDE Group 1 first time ever in Feburary.

Welcome. You are going... but have you registered already?

I have an Audi A4 2.0T quattro manual. I have a few questions,

1) is it true the car can not equip with spare tires?

The car can have what ever tires you have. You need to remove all loose items from the interior and trunk. This will include the jack and spare. Why would you want the extra weight anyway?

3) Do I bring my own number? or they will provide one for me.

Speak to your region's registrar. Read the HPDE rules.

Be familiar with the CCRs. Every participant is responsible to read this document.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

2) What else do I need beside helmet?

There are alot of things that will make your experience at the track more enjoyable. NASA has several documents on this subject. Have a look.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/firstday.html

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/preparing.html

Have fun. There is nothing better than a day at the track!

Spare - You're going to remove bascially from the car that you can remove. That includes your spare, floor mats, garage door opener, that wet nap you have in the glove comparment, and your smelly pine tree. Bring a tarp or something to put everything on.

What to bring -

Long pants, comfortable shoes, some cash, a full tank of gas, sunglasses, spare brake pads (you might want to buy some cheapies at autozone as a spare set), a chair, and a hat. What's more important is what you do before you get there. Make sure you've got a sufficent brake linings, bleed your brakes, and make sure your car is in good running condition.

As mentioned before bring a tarp to keep your stuff off the asphalt- also good idea to have a tupperware or two to keep all your stuff in and weather tight. Never have I had a problem with someone walking away with items, so remove your tire when you get there- it would be bad to have a flat and no spare! Introduce yourself to your neighbors and have a good time. The chair is a good idea to sit back and relax and visualize the track between sessions.

p.s. which event are you driving in?

i am going to

Willow Springs Raceway, Rosemond, CA -- 2/10/07

HPDE Group 1

How many session are there? and How many session can I join? How long is each session? Will there be an instructor w/ me in every session?

Nice track you are going to have a blast! Typically there a four (4) twenty minute sessions for your assigned group. Yes you will have a instructor with you for every session unless you both feel comfortable driving solo. But first time out most likely not- listen and learn from your instructor.

One more question:

Is it ok to print out my 3 digit car number from a computer printer? one number per page and duct tape it to door, will that meet the requirement?

More than enough. It may be easier to just use masking tape instead of paper, the blue kind is less adhesive and therefore less likely to damage the paint, but I run the normal stuff with no problems at all.

• Members

Great that you have that many questions and are excited about it! Here is some info you should have and answers to some questions.

Everything you have read so far is great...most importantly, LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR! Willow is a great track, but it can bit you in a couple places. The day is about learning and increasing your speed by through instruction and practice. Safety is paramount!

Having you car in top shape is a must; especially the brakes. Willow will take some pad away from you and you'll be shocked how much. I would read the first day listing on the NASA site, I think there is a link in a prior posting, as it is fairly accurate. Make sure you have the things on the basic list and don'r forget a good helmet!

The sessions are about 20 min long and sometimes you can get 5, but usually 4. Trust me, you'll get all the driving time you will want. At Willow, the line is more important an ever and in turn 9, you will see this more than anywhere else. Turn 9 is a pass-fail exercise. I would check out this posting; it is as accurate as you will find about a lap at Willow: http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/visitorinformation/nineturns.asp

I would also take something for shade at Willow. Bring a chair to relax, tape for your numbers and your full attention for the track. If you just talk with the others there, they will help you a ton. The NASA guys are great and the people who go are VERY helpful. The idea is to have fun and enjoy the day while being able to drive home, not get towed home.

Good luck and have a great time!

• Members

By the way, there are no lockers or things like that. I have never had a problem and really don't take anything that I should be too worried about.

You will take everything you can out of your car when you get there, so a tarp or very large containter will be necessary to keep the stuff off the ground.

Don't over think the day, just bring what is suggested, prep your car and enjoy.

Ed,

- Bring lots of water for the day. Be sure to drink some even if you don't feel thirsty.

- Tire pressure gauge (a decent one, not a cheesy gas station $2 version. You can buy one for under $30.)

- Paper and pen to write notes. Listen to your instructors and write it down. You'll also want to record some other information such as your tire pressures, ect.

- Windshield cleaner and paper towels

- Misc. tools including a jack, and torque wrench

- A camera. Have someone take a few pictures of you while at the event (even if it's just with you standing beside your car). You'll really be thankful that you did someday.

I also recommend you change your brake fluid to something with a higher boiling point than stock fluid. I use ATE Super Blue which has a DOT4 rating (higher boiling points) is what I use in my racecar. Great stuff and inexpensive (less than $15 for a can which will be plenty for your car).

Get ready to be addicted.