Obtaining license

cosm3os

• Members
Having never run in open passing groups, can I get my license on my first day (assuming I pass muster) and compete on sunday?

I would say you could! The system is set up so that you should work your way up thru the HPDE program. If you can demonstrate previous track experience or another racing license to your local director, then on track demonstrate car control, track awareness on your first day there should be no reason not to put you in TT on the first day of competition.

Thats how I did it!

Your setback might be the lack of open passing experience in your case. Discuss it with your local TT director and see what he sez about it.

Before I ran the first time with the TT guys Greg wanted my "driving resume". If you don't have one, you might want to put one together. It should list dates/type of event/organizer and other details such as if you were an instructor.

And the way it works in the rules is you have to submit your TT license app to your regional TT director, complete one full day within HPDE4 to demonstrate the skills and awareness required in an open passing group while being observed by the regional TT director, then he signs you off (or not). If you get signed off, then you can run in TT the next day but you don't get your official national license until after that event when you submit your signed app to HQ with $10.

• 2 weeks later...