Cracked Windshield?

mcmmotorsports

Guys, I got a project CMC car that I am gonna run in HPDE at VIR but it has a cracked windshield. Do I need to replace it before I run in HPDE? I planned on replacing it, but only after I install the cage.

Pic:

crack.jpg

looks like a light enough crack, but I'm no tech guy so big grain of salt there....

Thanks Ken & Kim. Yes, it is not that bad, but I would hate to get up there and then they don't allow the car because of it. I will be replacing the glass, as I said above, but I want to wait till I put the cage in as it will be easier to get to some key points to weld without the glass in there.

I will either have to wait till an official chimes in OR maybe drive the car to a NASA inspection station for review.

A hard tech guy will stop ANY cracked windshield. Some guys will let a small crack like happens in gen3 F bodies all the time by if it's not in the drivers' field of vision. Yours appears complete and has turned in on itself propagating all the way up the screen.

The bad news is, it is right in your direct view and all it would take is a rock chucked up into the same place and you're cooked! You're going to replace it anyway and a reputable shop can reglue NEW glass pretty easily, although they hate to do it. All the glass houses I use in the autobody trade tell us they can't guarantee it but if its pretty fresh mastic (the glue they attach the 'shield with) it will reseparate pretty easily.

Get it replaced to be safe and let the glazier know that you will want it removed in a bit and resealed. They'll tell you the same BS, but let them know you want to R&R it in a short time and they should be able to accomodate you for the week or so that it takes to put in the cage. Glass should only be about $100-125 max. Figure reglue for about $25-40.