C-5 Z06 Tires

WB6HRO

I am getting ready to run in TTA and was wondering what tires people are running in TTA?

The Kuhmo 710's I have been running in HPDE are to wide 315 on the rear so do people run the 285's on the rear and 275's on the front.

The Hoosier R-6 is available in 275 for the front and 295 for the rear which would seem the most logical choice?

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff

The base class for the C5 Z06 is TTA*, so the car starts with 7 points. The Hoosiers add 10 more points, leaving two points for other mods.

Where do the +7 come from?

How about a regular C5 based in ttb? Can one just immediately bump to a and start with the 295's? I'm just trying to understand the classing.

thanks

• National Staff
Where do the +7 come from?

How about a regular C5 based in ttb? Can one just immediately bump to a and start with the 295's? I'm just trying to understand the classing.

thanks

A "regular" C5 is base classed in TTB*, not TTB. It also has 7 points to start. There would be no benefit to "jumping" to TTA to start with 295's. TTB allows 265's. The extra points to get up to 295's would cost 7 points. So, that would leave 5 more points (7 +7 = 14) before bumping to TTA.

What I don't understand is a C5 with a Z51 package is required to start in A. Then if the springs/shocks/swaybars are upgraded more points must be added. A C5 with no Z51 package to begin with can start in B, run the exact same suspension upgrades, and be left with more points to modify. Essentially, a base C5 can be modified further than a Z51 package car. When both are maxed out in A class the car that started with the Z51 package will be handicapped. That makes no sense to me unless I am reading something wrong. For those that don't know, the Z51 package is not all that sporty, and the Z06 suspension only has a slightly stiffer rear spring and upgraded swaybars which again is not a huge improvement.

• National Staff
What I don't understand is a C5 with a Z51 package is required to start in A. Then if the springs/shocks/swaybars are upgraded more points must be added. A C5 with no Z51 package to begin with can start in B, run the exact same suspension upgrades, and be left with more points to modify. Essentially, a base C5 can be modified further than a Z51 package car. When both are maxed out in A class the car that started with the Z51 package will be handicapped. That makes no sense to me unless I am reading something wrong. For those that don't know, the Z51 package is not all that sporty, and the Z06 suspension only has a slightly stiffer rear spring and upgraded swaybars which again is not a huge improvement.

A C5 that came with the Z51 option package, that has the Z51 parts replaced with better ones will start in the C5 (w/o Z51) base class of TTB*, and then mod up from there. If you take all of the points for the Z51 package, and add in the 7 points for the difference in 265 vs 295 tire size, and then factor in that if a driver wants to run 305's or 315's that it is 2 points cheaper to start in the TTA class, there is a benefit for drivers that want to run their OEM Z51 package for being in TTA--Just believe me on this one. We purposely have given Vette owners a few options to choose from so they can optimize their own car, as they see fit. If a driver feels that it's better to get rid of the Z51 parts and upgrade from there, that is his choice.

Ok, that sounds fair. I'll look into it. Gets pretty confusing. When is the online calculator going to be running? That hopefully will make things easier.

thanks,

-V

A C5 that came with the Z51 option package, that has the Z51 parts replaced with better ones will start in the C5 (w/o Z51) base class of TTB*, and then mod up from there. If you take all of the points for the Z51 package, and add in the 7 points for the difference in 265 vs 295 tire size, and then factor in that if a driver wants to run 305's or 315's that it is 2 points cheaper to start in the TTA class, there is a benefit for drivers that want to run their OEM Z51 package for being in TTA--Just believe me on this one. We purposely have given Vette owners a few options to choose from so they can optimize their own car, as they see fit. If a driver feels that it's better to get rid of the Z51 parts and upgrade from there, that is his choice.

At the point where I am taking points for upgraded pieces from options, you can bet your hiny that I will be taking the points and using a whole lot better components. On a Z51 car if you are taking points for springs,shocks,sway bars, then you could have these components updated to components that will make a significant speed differential, far greater then the optional Z51 pieces.

Greg , was a FRC (which came with Z51 only) , ever researched to find out what a "standard" or base Corvette was in the years '99 and '00 ??? Can a FRC be stripped of all of its Z51 components and be considered base C5 =TTB* ??

• National Staff

Greg , was a FRC (which came with Z51 only) , ever researched to find out what a "standard" or base Corvette was in the years '99 and '00 ??? Can a FRC be stripped of all of its Z51 components and be considered base C5 =TTB* ??

Chevrolet Corvette C5 (inc. FRC w/o Z51) TTB* 3246

Cheverolet Corvette C5 (all w/ Z51) TTA 3173

Danny, those are the C5 listings in the current rules. The "(inc. FRC w/o Z51)" was put in there to describe a Z51 stripped FRC. (we both know that there isn't such thing as an FRC that didn't come with the Z51). So, the answer is yes. But note that the curb weight listing for weight reduction purposes will be 3246 lbs, like the standard C5.