ecu reprogramming "during" event clarification

heeltoer

hey greg,

would like a clarification regarding this ecu rule (emphasis mine)

13) Reprogrammed OEM ECU or chip (must use OEM ECU box/housing): +5 naturally

aspirated, +10 forced induction (reprogramming is not permitted during the event).

Reason for asking is that its a lot cheaper to drive to the track on 91.

Here are a couple of reasonable options i can think of.

1. As soon as car enters the track paddock.

2. As soon as car enters the racing surface for the first time.

3. As soon as a timed lap has been recorded for the first time.

For someone who is debating having two maps, my strongest preference would be the last option since the warm up doesn't count anyways.

Please advise.

Thanks,

-yang

• National Staff

It's really going to depend on what your Regional TT Director wants to do. If he wants to seal ECU ports, then he may want to do it after the first practice session, or even at the start of the day. Certainly, there is no reprogramming permitted after the car hits the track for the first competition session. I don't see a problem with you driving the car to the track, and changing the map once you arrive. You will need to check with Kevin whether he wants you to finish the programming before the first practice session or not.

i like the idea of permitting changes/etc before competition.

IE: I know what boost I run, but I trailer the car to the track. if it's 20 degrees colder, and i'm boosting higher than normal, i wanna turn that stuff down. Being in florida, theres not much of an issue with that, but other places, i can see where that'd be a serious problem, event to event.

Greg, what constitutes sealing a port? As really i'm sure im the first one that needs it done down here, and I wanna help out anyway i can, and I'm sure they're unfamiliar with the odds and ins of the procedure.

Thanks again.

I figured Greg would say what he did. Since the EVO is reprogrammed through the OBD2 connector, it probably would involve marking where the MBC is set and taping up the OBD2 connector. The way I see it, the rules mean being unable to reflash or changing MBC settings once you are set to go on the track.

So once the tape is on and the MBC level set, if you are experiencing detonation tough luck ...

I figured Greg would say what he did. Since the EVO is reprogrammed through the OBD2 connector, it probably would involve marking where the MBC is set and taping up the OBD2 connector. The way I see it, the rules mean being unable to reflash or changing MBC settings once you are set to go on the track.

So once the tape is on and the MBC level set, if you are experiencing detonation tough luck ...

at Nationals at least, you could change it but you had to go stop by tech and they'd have to witness you change it and they'd retape your stuff back up after you were done. This is so they would have an opportunity to dyno you if they thought you might be over the limit for your class....

• Members
I'm with ya on that one . I asked and was told NO RETARDING TIMMING , I run N/A V8 on 100 oct and in cold weather it gets close to the edge .

Whaaaaaaaaa???

Cold weather makes your motor ping??

• National Staff

You are correct about "sealing" the port and possible adjustable parts (MBC, WGA, etc). If a car was having detonation problems, I would speak with the Regional TT Director, and discuss what you can do to fix the problem. You would likely be able to make the fix, but in the presence of a designated NASA representative.

However, here is the rub. Let's say someone just put down a track record for his class. Now, he wants to retard the timing because the car is "detonating". That would definitely present us with a dilemma. Perhaps we want to dyno the car to make sure that it was legal (for cars classed based on dyno results). I'm sure that if the car was really detonating, that the owner would not want us to dyno the car as driven in that prior session because of the risk of damaging the motor. And, if the car was running illegally, the owner would also not want us to dyno the car with the current setup. There is no way for us (officials) to know which one is the case. And, perhaps it is not logistically possible to dyno the car until a few hours later, but there are more TT sessions that the driver wants to compete in before that time. So, as you can see, making changes like retarding timing during an event can be very problematic from a compliance standpoint. And, I would really lean toward DQ'ing those record-setting lap times that occurred before the ECU changes were made if the car was one that was classified based on dyno results (if I couldn't dyno the car).

Greg,

That seams fair enough . I understand the the reasoning for sealing the OBD port . With all the different engine comb's out there, there could be a slippery slope in output .