• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidfarmer

• DanElam

• DriverGT5

• rrrracer

dammit, I'm done! **I think they should be on white Placards anyway........ Number placards a la WC wouldn't be horrible either... makes the cars look more professional and uniform

Somebody make an "official" decision and we'll talk colors

I'm trying to pick up a cheap, early C5, and just run for fun. I've got a likely candidate in the works, but haven't seen it in person yet.

I'm thinking of putting an ST2 car together.

you guys are picky, although it is looking better

st1c.jpg

I like it. I know where my vote goes. BTW you should put an ST2 car together. The more cars the better!! Now we just need to get some sponsorship/contingency money and we're in business.

sponsors could be tough, as the series involves different types of cars. However, something like Mid America http://www.mamotorworks.com/ might be pulled in, as they do Vettes and Porsches. Maybe a tire sponsor (don't really want a SPEC tire), brakes (hawk, carbotech), etc.

I really think ST1 and ST2 have a LOT of potential, and ST1 should be able to encompass all but the most radical SU cars. I hope to see the fields grow by leaps and bounds this season

We already have a healthy Super Touring field at Road Atlanta next month It is going to be a good class for all

Will you publish a list of participants we can see when the date gets closer?

sponsors could be tough,

Sponsors aren't tough. We're busy with some paperwork stuff now, but next week we expect to announce some sponsorship deals for most of the Cobras running. There may even be some money left over to offer some stuff to other racers on the board, especially in certain regions. The first year is always the toughest, but we're off to a very good start with just a little time on my part and I expect we can easily double it for next year.

Just go ask. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get sponsorship. What most racers miss is telling the sponsor what you can do for them and instead of focusing on what they 'need'.

Trust me, the Cobras will be obnoxious about our sponsors (we want to do a good job), so you will certainly be hearing about some of the stuff. As one guy pointed out, if we keep raising money pretty soon we'll be able to hire drivers!

• Members
Will you publish a list of participants we can see when the date gets closer?

Sure will! Right now the ST list is mostly Factory Five Cobras

FYI - we have no way to make the lists dynamic and our experience is that as soon as we publish a list, somebody registers, looks at the list, and sends us an email asking why they weren't on the list! we try to wait until a week or so before the event to publish the list (if we have time).

• National Staff

If you guys are actually serious about having placards, which I'm actually starting to believe (didn't this start as a joke?), then we need to stay away from that Tourismo "T". Also, "Super Touring" is two words (and is a registered trademark to NASA), so the words should have at least a small space between them. I like the placard with the NASA logo on the top or bottom. And the class letters should be "ST1" and "ST2", without the dash between the ST and the number. Although, I thought that Jim's potential copyright infringement on the flying caped crusader (with "ST" in the middle instead of "S") was great.

If you guys are serious about an "official" placard or logo, go for the parameters I listed above, and make a few designs that fit the bill, and we can do a poll to decide once we have legitimate choices.

Also, Hankook will be providing a contingency sponsorship for all NASA "open tire" classes (for both regional races and the NASA Championships), including ST. We will have a press release soon. However, it looks like currently, the largest Z214 DOT tires are 275's and the largest F200 slicks are 270's. So, perhaps some of the ST participants in the lighter vehicles can take advantage of this contingency.

One thought regarding placards (I like them BTW):

To me cars in these classes have alot of "cross over" ability with other classes within NASA, but also other sanctioning bodies. If the placards are required, then to race somewhere else would require either modification (cover up) or removal altogether. This would just be another "PITA" issue. Not a great one, mind you; but one to at least consider.

As it is now I can use the ST2 or ST1 class designation and either leave "naked" for NASA or cover up one number or letter for "somewhere else." This sure makes it easy.

However, I would consider removal and replacement of complete number sets for each race weekend; the cost would be a small issue, but it is doable.

Just my two cents.

• National Staff

I agree David. I think that it would more likely be optional to use the placard, except perhaps at the NASA Championships. I just don't want to see an "unofficial" placard that gets mass produced and "appears" to be the official placard, yet has potential copyright/trademark issues, or doesn't accurately reflect the series name and class letters.

Legal issues and other sanctioning bodies notwithstanding, I would also suggest that we not have the NASA logo incorporated into the class letters. Now only does the larger size present from problems for certain cars, it also makes the decals *significantly* more expensive to produce since the traditional decal cutters won't like all the little pieces for the overlay. If you leave the NASA logo part off, it also means you don't have to cover them up when you go out and kick the butts of the ITE cars.

If someone can come up with individual graphics for suggestions, I can put together a voting poll for the racers on each one.

Last, but not least, "Super Touring" probably isn't actually a NASA trademark. There is plenty of prior use by other race groups, automotive-related manufacturers, etc. If it is registered, that would mean that NASA is infringing. Since the term is so generic, I'd be stunned if anyone could actually trademark it. There used to be a "Super Touring" series that ran as a CART support race and some others.

I edited my logos from before to conform to Greg G's direction. Plus I added some TT versions for fun. PT could be modified similarly.

I like the 'placard' style numbering because when I watch the races it's nice to have something easily identifiable to show what class a car is in. All the region races I see are of course multi-class. Some classes are self-explanatory but it's nice to have the uniformity.

Logos-2.jpg

Edited by Guest

• National Staff

Last, but not least, "Super Touring" probably isn't actually a NASA trademark. There is plenty of prior use by other race groups, automotive-related manufacturers, etc. If it is registered, that would mean that NASA is infringing. Since the term is so generic, I'd be stunned if anyone could actually trademark it. There used to be a "Super Touring" series that ran as a CART support race and some others.

Actually, I should say that the Trademark is pending (filed in '06). "used to be a Super Touring series", doesn't mean that the name cannot be trademarked now. And, at the time of filing, and when we chose the name, there was no other "Super Touring" that was trademarked, or active. I guess time will tell if the trademark gets final approval. In any event, the name of the class is Super Touring, not Supertouring, which was my point.

• National Staff
Andrew, the TT series name is NASA "Time Trial", not "Time Trials"

"Time Trials"? Where does it say "Time Trials"?

I guess I was hallucinating again.