TTS Paperwork

Navid

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I have a question about the paperwork needed for TTS/TTU. I understand I need a "certified dynamometer report and the minimum competition weight."

1) I can get the car dynoed by a few places in my area, but what makes it "certified"?

2) How do I get a certified minimum weight? I can get access to scales. My car was weighed multiple times on different scales and I know how much it weighs, but I don't have a "certified" paper that states that.

I need to get these taken care of before this weekend, so any help will be appreciated.

--Navid

• National Staff
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I have a question about the paperwork needed for TTS/TTU. I understand I need a "certified dynamometer report and the minimum competition weight."

1) I can get the car dynoed by a few places in my area, but what makes it "certified"?

2) How do I get a certified minimum weight? I can get access to scales. My car was weighed multiple times on different scales and I know how much it weighs, but I don't have a "certified" paper that states that.

I need to get these taken care of before this weekend, so any help will be appreciated.

--Navid

Hi Navid,

To have the dyno report "certified", just make sure that the date, time, shop name and location, dyno operator name and signature are on the sheets. If you will be using a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics model to dyno an AWD car, I would suggest to add at least 10% to the number you measure to make sure that the car would be compliant on a Dynojet or Dynapack. While the rules allow you to use any of the four models for testing, they also still require that the car is compliant on all four. And, clearly, those two models tend to read 10% lower than the others.

You do not need a certified weight. You just list whatever you are deciding to use as your minimum competition weight. The "certification" will come if and when the TT Director decides to impound vehicles for weighing. Obviously, different scales can have some variance. The best advice is to make sure to weigh the car on the scales used by your region's tech crew (before competition), to ensure that you will be compliant. The scales should be available for use during most of the event (when not being used to weigh other racecars that are impounded).

Hi Navid,

To have the dyno report "certified", just make sure that the date, time, shop name and location, dyno operator name and signature are on the sheets. If you will be using a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics model to dyno an AWD car, I would suggest to add at least 10% to the number you measure to make sure that the car would be compliant on a Dynojet or Dynapack. While the rules allow you to use any of the four models for testing, they also still require that the car is compliant on all four. And, clearly, those two models tend to read 10% lower than the others.

You do not need a certified weight. You just list whatever you are deciding to use as your minimum competition weight. The "certification" will come if and when the TT Director decides to impound vehicles for weighing. Obviously, different scales can have some variance. The best advice is to make sure to weigh the car on the scales used by your region's tech crew (before competition), to ensure that you will be compliant. The scales should be available for use during most of the event (when not being used to weigh other racecars that are impounded).

Hey Greg,

That presents an interesting dilema. I'm at 9.175 right now on a dynopack and have some cushion to my 8.7 limit. I'm sure most people are like that. I would want to state my power as high as possible to compensate for possible dyno differences. That puts me tight on the weight limit. If I end up a bit lighter on a certain day, can I use my certified dyno reports to prove I'm still within my power/weight ratio limit?

Thanks!

--Navid

• National Staff

Hi Navid,

Hey Greg,

That presents an interesting dilema. I'm at 9.175 right now on a dynopack and have some cushion to my 8.7 limit. I'm sure most people are like that. I would want to state my power as high as possible to compensate for possible dyno differences. That puts me tight on the weight limit. If I end up a bit lighter on a certain day, can I use my certified dyno reports to prove I'm still within my power/weight ratio limit?

Thanks!

--Navid

The best idea would be to not state a minimum weight that you cannot be compliant with 100% of the time. Because, failing a weight measurement will immediately cause issues, and probably cause the NASA Officials to request that the car be dyno'd immediately. However, if they don't request a repeat dyno, you could possibly pass compliance tech by showing your dyno sheets. It would not be wise to do it that way, though. You would just be asking for trouble, and future increased scrutiny, etc.

From 6.4.2:

For cars competing in either the TTS or TTU classes, a newly calculated “adjustedâ€

So, I will spread the cushion evenly between the weight and the power. Maybe more on the power side since dynos vary more than scales do.

--Navid

Navid, don't forget that there are modifiers for each weight grouping, too, so you have to keep that in mind when recalculating.
Yep, I'm on the heavy side of the 50lb spread in the weight grouping I'm using. So, that's a 50lb safety built in.

--Navid

Navid, don't forget that there are modifiers for each weight grouping, too, so you have to keep that in mind when recalculating.
Yep, I'm on the heavy side of the 50lb spread in the weight grouping I'm using. So, that's a 50lb safety built in.

--Navid

I'm surprised that's the case for you with an RS. I'm in the same boat, but my MR is heavier, and I'm a svelt 225, hah.