Do adjustable swaybar endlinks cost points?

DaWorstPlaya

Suppose one were to replace the stock swaybar endlinks with adjustable aftermarket endlinks, would that cost any points? The swaybar would stay the same and wouldn't be modified, just the endlinks would be changed. The new endlinks aren't stiffer than OEM, they just help remove some of the preload due to lowering the car. Looking through the suspension portion of the rules,

6) Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“swayâ€

• National Staff

All of the adjustable end links that I have seen have spherical joints. Replacing the endlinks with replacement polyurethane links (of any height) would be ok (since both ride height adjustment and non-metallic bushings are no-points mods). But, all of the adustable links that I've seen have spherical joints, and provide increased stiffness.

Do you have a photo of the end-links you are interested in?

• National Staff
All of the adjustable end links that I have seen have spherical joints. Replacing the endlinks with replacement polyurethane links (of any height) would be ok (since both ride height adjustment and non-metallic bushings are no-points mods). But, all of the adustable links that I've seen have spherical joints, and provide increased stiffness.

As I said, all of the adjustable end links that I have seen have spherical joints (as in your photos).

Spherical sway bar end-links are only free if you take the +2 for sway bars. Otherwise, they are part of the +3 for metallic replacement suspension bushings. (Yes, if you those are the only spherical joints on the car, you can take the +2 for sway bars even if the sway bars are not actually modified, instead of taking the +3).

Ken, they would have to be essentially identical to the OEM links (except for "shaft" length).

As I said, all of the adjustable end links that I have seen have spherical joints (as in your photos).

Spherical sway bar end-links are only free if you take the +2 for sway bars. Otherwise, they are part of the +3 for metallic replacement suspension bushings. (Yes, if you those are the only spherical joints on the car, you can take the +2 for sway bars even if the sway bars are not actually modified, instead of taking the +3).

Ken, they would have to be essentially identical to the OEM links (except for "shaft" length).

Greg,

If the OEM sway bar endlinks are of a spherical joint design, can they be replaced with adjustable spherical endlinks of the same length for free.?? What if the OEM spherical came with a pressed in stud and the replacements have bolts/nuts??? If the OEM endlink is spherical and all metal (no rubber/nylon etc.) would it be free to replace with ones meeting the same criteria...

I have no dog in this fight, as I am just playing with a power to wieght ratio, but I am interested in one specific application, I will try to assemble pictures for you , but would appreciate your preliminary almighty wise insights...........

• National Staff

Greg,

If the OEM sway bar endlinks are of a spherical joint design, can they be replaced with adjustable spherical endlinks of the same length for free.?? What if the OEM spherical came with a pressed in stud and the replacements have bolts/nuts??? If the OEM endlink is spherical and all metal (no rubber/nylon etc.) would it be free to replace with ones meeting the same criteria...

I have no dog in this fight, as I am just playing with a power to wieght ratio, but I am interested in one specific application, I will try to assemble pictures for you , but would appreciate your preliminary almighty wise insights...........

Danny, that was what I was answering for Ken. Essentially, they would have to be nearly (functionally) identical. Photos may be useful for evaluation of the specific application you are thinking of. But, since ride height adjustment is free in '07, I think that "leveling" the sway bars should also be free, as long as they aren't more or less stiff, and the links are not more or less stiff.