NASA-VA gets a NEW AI Director

Chris Cobetto

• Members

NASA-VIRGINIA REGION NAMES STEPHEN MARCUS AI DIRECTOR

Richmond, VA. March 23, 2004 National Auto Sport Association Virginia Region Director Chris Cobetto announced today the appointment of veteran motor sports professional Stephen Marcus to the position of American Iron Director for the Virginia Region.

Marcus, who has participated as a driver, instructor and team owner, brings extensive knowledge and background to NASA’s ground pounding series for V8 muscle cars. Marcus has been a team owner at both the amateur and top tier professional sports car racing level. This experience should prove to be a definite asset to the series. Marcus’ most recent successes include numerous podium and top ten finishes, including a 2nd place finish in the 2003 Rolex Sports Car Series GT championship behind the ever powerful Ferrari of Washington’s Ferrari 360.

“The American Iron series is one of the fastest growing road racing series in the country and a flagship for NASA. Having Mr. Marcus at the head of the Mid-Atlantic (Virginia Region) series assures that our racers will be treated fairly, honestly and with respect. Steve (Marcus) understands the realities of racing at all levels. Fast growing series need leadership that is solid and reasonable. Steve (Marcus) fits the bill.” Said Chris Cobetto, NASA-Virginia Region Director.

Marcus’ appointment will assist the rapid expansion and growth for each of the American Iron classes and should serve as a clear voice on the board for the series at a national level.

Mr. Marcus states, “American Iron has gone through an enormous growth stage which will need to be continually fine-tuned to maintain the interest for competitors and sponsors. The sight of the ground-pounding V8 muscle cars running on a road race circuit is awesome. Fans, sponsors, and racers are all looking forward to continued growth regionally and nationally with NASA.”

Marcus, with a 25-year history in motor sports, turned a top tier race team into a championship caliber team in a short period of time and early in his career. Marcus’ passion still lies with amateur racing and he is highly enthused to be able to participate as a leader at this level.

Mr. Marcus said, “My vision for this series is to attract more competitors, sponsors and fans while still retaining the NASA idea of a fun, safe and competitive venue for the amateur/semi-pro racer. My team will work closely with drivers to make sure that all competitors comply fully with the rules set forth for 2004 and for the future with plenty of input from them. Also, great care will be taken to protect the dignity of NASA and the AI series as well as the competitors and teams. All infractions will be confronted and dealt with in a strictly structured format.”

John Lindsey, NASA Chief Divisional Director said, “NASA has always had an open mind toward road racing and our environment tends to attract the best people. Steve Marcus is another great leader that will thrive in and, in turn, perpetuate the NASA environment overall and specifically the American Iron series in the Mid Atlantic. We couldn’t be more pleased.”

Marcus, 43, and his wife, Marjorie, reside in Richmond, VA. They have operated a very successful ground transportation business since 1988. In 2000, the company received its highest award by being voted one of the top 3 companies in the country by their peers and one of only a handful that have been accepted by the Better Business Bureau.

May I be the first to congratulate Steve. He is a great guy and brings alot of knowledge to NASA. My first race with NASA in 01 I raced side by side with Steve for several laps and I learned alot from him. He was very helpful and generous.

Is Steve planning on feilding a car for the series also?

I look forward to him handing me my Championship plauqe from last year at the first race I attend.

03 AI East Champ HOOV

Wow. I didn't see that coming! Congrats to all. Steve will do an excellent job in helping expand on what you guys in AI have done so well so far.