Trying to figure out the weight thing.

brigark

Where do i find the minimum compitition weight? Is it the weight in the base class. I have a 99 Miata, base weight is 2299. My car without driver and not a full tank is about 2230. So what does that tell anybody?

base weight at 2299 means the lowest you can come in without taking weight reduction points is 2295 (4lbs or less below base weight = 0 points)

at 2230 minimum declared competition weight you need to take +5 under alternate weight reduction method (greater than 65 but less than 80) IF I understand that wording correctly. Greg could tell you 100% for sure since he wrote the rules, heh

if you choose that weight as your minimum competition weight at no time can your car weigh less than that (typically you might get weighed after a session...)

edit: I just noticed you said that the 2230 was weight without driver? minimum weights are stated with driver, saftey gear, etc. Unless you weigh 55lbs, you've probably got some points-free weight reduction you can do

You've gotta be in a weird car or on crack to not use the alternate method with the 2007 rules

When I did the weight reduction points i was +4. Now I can take that or use the other method. Right? So do I still have to add 5 points for the 60 lbs. difference? By the way I read it it's an either or.

you need to know what your car weights with you in it, helmet on, whatever else you wear in the car, and at a gas level you won't go below as thats how you'll be weighed during/after competition

THEN we can see how much lower it is than 2299 and we'll figure out your points from there

you can either take points for removing items OR take points by being XX lbs below your car's listed weight. the second usually has you come out lighter 9.9 times out of 10

• National Staff

Thanks, Ken--correct on all counts, except for a minor technicality. The wording says, "greater than 5 lbs...." So, he can actually have a minimum competition weight of 2294 lbs before taking any weight reduction points.

So does all this mean that I can takee my weight out of the car?

I weigh 230lbs (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it), the car weighs 2230lbs, which equals 2460lbs. Minus 2299 equals 161. So can I take out that 161lbs? If so that would be way cool!

Surely that can't be how that rule is interpretted.

thats exactly how its to be interpreted

this isn't horse racing where we're all supposed to be 75lb jockeys or something

just be sure to factor in your fuel levels, and leave yourself a bit of a buffer....