Mocals in SoCal?

David J Marguglio

For those of you that checked out Wirken's (or was it Ariano?) Mocal oil radiator at Fontana, I have some info. I called BAT today to get the skinny. There are two ways to skin this cat.

1. Buy the Turbo air/oil console and run AN fittings to an additional radiator (Mocal or otherwise), or

2. Purchase a sandwich plate from Mocal that goes between the block and the oil filter that allows you to run AN fittings out of that.

Prices on the Mocal components are as follows:

Sandwich plate w/thermostat = $79

25 row (7 3/4" X 12") oil cooler = $195

-or-

19 row (6" X 12") oil cooler = $147

They also will cut the braided s/s lines to order and add the AN fittings for an additional cost.

If we order 3 or more kits at the same time, they will give us a price break. Anyone interested?

very possibly intrested.. just cant do anything til next month (MAY) - building a new house so funds are tight! But a kick ass house it is!

Jason

I'm in but I want a complete kit and I want to know it is per spec. Also, after talking to John about his set up your prices seem too cheap.

Mark

Mark, the prices are what BAT told me they were. Of course you would need to add lines and AN connections, (thats not too much) and shipping.

Spargo, I believe if you go the sandwich route you would keep your existing cooler.

Dave,

I haven't seen anyresponses about the oil coolers. Did you look at the less expensive Tru Cool coolers at racers wholesale? I don't remember seeing anything about them in the old discussions about oil coolers but maybe I missed it. They are less than half the price of the Mocals and are about the same size with the same 1/2 in NPT fittings (racers wholesale also lists Mocals for a little more than the price you quoted. By the way, do you know the thread size for the sandwich plate? They come in 18mm, 20mm and 22 mm.

I think the sandwich plate is legal since the spec rules only say you can add external oil cooling but do not require any specific method or device. It does say that the factory cooler MAY be removed but does not say it MUST be removed. Here is the rule copied from the currect spec rules:

11.8 Oil Cooling

The factory oil cooler may be removed and an external oil cooler installed. The intent of this rule is to fix the known problem of inadequate factory designed oil coolers which can cause an oil/water mixing problem. This can easily be done with factory parts from a 944 Turbo.

John Anderson is intimately familiar with installing the Mocal cooler in line with the 951 cooler. Oil's so cool you can put your hand on the cooling blades after a run.

DELETED BY JASON BOLES

Although some shops are not for some - you should hold yourself back from commenting on them or there work quality!

DELETED BY JASON BOLES

OK just cause a shop or a person gets flamed - does not entitled you or any others to use harsh language with each other. We are adults and what I thought most of us friends - so suck it up and apologize for blowing this out of proportion!

The next time notify me if you do not like a post - other wise I will delete your NASA Forums account for extended period of time.

Jason