Autopower roll cage

davidfarmer

It goes without saying but I would prefer a weld in, however I have won multiple championships using a Autopower bolt in cage as well as the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. If you have time, you can weld the joints and add a Nascar door bar which helps.

they make weld in kits too. I guess I'm wondering if they fit is OK, and quality of the notching, etc.

In my specific application (I had 5 of them) they fit perfectly and I never had any problems with them. As far as safety is concerned, one of my team drivers hit a K-wall head on going over 95 miles hour and walked away. The roll cage performed it's job perfectly. I am not saying they are as good as a weld in but I will testify that they have performed well for me in the past and if I had too I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

Living in the S.F. Bay area, I am now very fortunate to have an awesome cage builder near me that does state of the art cages for an incredible price and he leaves nothing to chance and he turns them out very quick.

Why can't you get the cage built in time? RA is still several weeks away. Heck, Ken and I put a whole cage together in a day and a half and we'd never built one before.

equipment and time are my major problems, although the steel is on the way. If the cage isn't done in time, I'll run time trials.

Unfortunately, Autopowers cage is designed so that you don't cut into the dash. SO, it doesn't go far enough forward for me. They have a new design for the C6 that would probably fit, but I'll just do it myself.

I also don't think they could have gotten it to me in time.

btw, Their C6 Z06 cage DOES go through the dash, but the tech guy didn't seem interested in comparing the specs to see if it would fit the C5. The cars have the same frame, so I think it would've been the same, but they really didn't seem interested in helping me.

Will test my tube bending skills very soon (been awhile)

You're probably right about the time frame; AFAIK they don't keep anything on the shelf, usually takes 3-4 weeks to get one...

I had Autopower install a custom cage in my car last year and it is some of the finest work I have ever seen. Even the tech inspectors revel in the quality of the welds and fitment.

besides, how hard can it be?? For a normal cage, you only need around 8 bends, right?????

heheh yeah... if you drive a UPS truck with flames on it