Right side net in the CCR

ffspecracer

I was just looking at the latest edition of the CCR and noticed that in rule 15.17.9 regarding right side nets, that the simpson product had been removed and the Racetech RTViperRT was in serted in its place.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Is the Simpson still acceptable? Any thoughts are appreciated.

TIA

both should still be legal, as bolt-on side restraints (for aluminum seats).

I've installed both, and like the Racetech net much better, but it is such a new thing, I'm sure both will remain legal.

• 2 weeks later...

This should be interesting as I have minor head bolsters on my Sparco seat.

I wonder if this will be enforced at Nationals this year?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, meeting SFI

specifications, may become mandatory for all road race series as of July 1, 2007.

15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact

As of July 1st, 2007 it is required that all drivers employ a right-side impact head restraint

system. A seat with a “bolsterâ€

if it isn't enforced, it would make good protest fodder.

"minor head bolsters" sounds like the adequacy might be interpreted differently by various tech inspectors, so I'd be having the right side net ready.

cheers,

bruce

This should be interesting as I have minor head bolsters on my Sparco seat.

I wonder if this will be enforced at Nationals this year?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, meeting SFI

specifications, may become mandatory for all road race series as of July 1, 2007.

15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact

As of July 1st, 2007 it is required that all drivers employ a right-side impact head restraint

system. A seat with a “bolsterâ€

... I'd be having the right side net ready.

Will do. That is the plan indeed. I dont ever want to make a tow to the track and be failed at tech.

• 3 months later...

Sorry I havnt followed up with pics. I thought incorrectly and my seat has zero lateral head restraint. I have purchased a right side net and we are installing it this weekend.

I will get pics of this install and share with everyone. I have a feeling that I will be installing several of these over the next few weeks.

Anyone else who has completed their install, please share with everyone and post pics.

I installed mine yesterday. A Safer Solutions net with rachet. I tried to post pics but it didn't work.

Edited by Guest

The pic links above seem to be dead (website not found).

fix'd

I installed mine yesterday. A Safer Solutions net with rachet. I tried to post pics but it didn't work.

I hope this helps.

Photo Credit to TPetrosky.

normal_DSCF0001.JPGnormal_DSCF0003.JPG

Thanks Tom.

Mine will be up next week.

That seems a bit high from the pics. From what I've read, the top strap should be just below the driver's sightline and the lower strap should be below the shoulder. It looks like that net is installed "all helmet".

That seems a bit high from the pics. From what I've read, the top strap should be just below the driver's sightline and the lower strap should be below the shoulder. It looks like that net is installed "all helmet".

Yep, this might be worse than no net at all. If you go sideways (not enough side bolster on that seat) and your head stays behind the net, what do you get?

You guys bring up a good point. What's nice about the nets is that you can adjust them up/down and fore/aft.

Since the regulation also states that a headrest mounted device could be used instead of a net, I think I was trying to keep the head restrained while the harness belts keep the shoulders and torso in place. I originally had the side net positioned lower but felt it didn't offer enough protection of my neck and head so I raised it to where it is now.

As it currently stands, it is about 2 inches below my shoulder. My line of sight is just barely over the top belt but my view to the right side mirror is slightly blocked which doesn't make me feel real comfortable.

I'll try a few other mounting positions, trying to lower it while still supporting the head.

Thanks

those straps in the photo above are not completely laced. They must be laced throught three times to be effectiveat thier best. It is a big pain, especially with the saftey solutions one because there are three straps in the rear and getting them all snug while also lacing three times is damn near impossible. When I say laced three times I mean just like seat belt harnesses are supposed to be laced. Teamtech has a diagram in their catalog and I believe there is one in the CCR as well.

-V

... When I say laced three times I mean just like seat belt harnesses are supposed to be laced. ... I believe there is one in the CCR as well.

From the CCR gents.

normal_Harness_threading_diagram.JPG

and fwiw, this is the first I have heard anything about lacing the straps for the right side restraint.

thanks V.

Yes, they should be tripled over just like a harness. Adjusting the tension on the net is a bit time consuming, but you want to get it right.

On the Safety Solutions setup, it's not that hard to do... the way I do it is I keep playing with them until I get even tension across the net when using the ratchet mechanism at the front, and two passes on the rear straps. According to their instructions, this is tight enough to have tension across the net but just loose enough to where the quick release mechanism still works.

Once you get the straps evenly tensioned, release the ratchet mechanism, adjust them just a little bit tighter at the rear and triple the belts over. Done!

Here is a pic of what we mocked up for the #81 CMC car.

normal_DSC00971_a.JPG

Thanks to Anders for taking pics.

Note: the straps arent all triple laced yet just to hold off the flaming.