Definitive Tire Opinions for HPDE

Feffman

Good Day All:

Well spring and track day season are fast approaching and I've got to get new track tires. For a number of years I've run the Kumho Ecsta DOT-R compound but am finding a wider variety of improved chocies today.

Here are my choices for near stock size for my Cadillac CTS-V.

Yokohama Advan A048 or Advan A005

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Pirellis P-Zero Corsa

Toyo Proxes RA-1

Hankook Ventus Z214 or Ventus RSS Z211

(Ventus RSS Z211 is a bargain but being discontinued)

Kumho V710 or V70A

Nitto NT01

Hoosier R6 or R3 S05

(R3 is a good bargain but also being discontinued)

I'm a little concerned about a true slick (Yokohama Advan A005 or Hooiser R6/R3) as the loading in the bearings could be detrimental. This is, after all, my street car too. Other then the discontinued Hankook Z211 ($710), the tires for a set of four range in price from $890 - $1,220.

I've read a variety of stuff on each tire, but wanted some driver's inputs on grip (old Kumho Ecsta gets a little greasy on extended runs) and wear but no definitive answer.

Any help and valuable opinion is appreciated. Happy Motoring!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

I use R6's with my vette. I would recommend slicks to maximize your 'fun' potential! Worried about your bearings?? That's crazy. Drive it like you stole it, the bearings will be fine.

Good Day All: Any help and valuable opinion is appreciated.

"Tastes Great.....Less Filling....."

You crack me up. ...I guess that is your opinion !

My 2 cents: You didnt mention any other criteria to offer better advice. Is price an issue? I would think not if you are tracking a CTS-V. ( Nice by the way, very nice). Honestly since tires are a major wear item and they can fail or go bad easily too.....Go for the cheaper set $710 I think you said. If you dont like them, order another set of tires and offer the take offs for sale. I have done this for a long time with my cars and motorcycles. Honestly all of the tires you listed are great. I couldnt tell you if they are great for a CTS-V.

If one guy says his Nitto tires are awesome.....on his 2000# roadster, they arent necessarily going to work well for a similarly prepared 4000# sedan.

I would look at what weight class a tire performs best in and go from there. 2nd, choose on price. (If the tires are melted on the edges chances are they may not be covered under warranty so that negates that option, leaving you to buy more)

Have fun.

... same ones used on the CTS/V's in the Speed World Challenge Seies, Toyo RA1

well there you go.

Is it a spec tire for that class?

FYI the R6 is not a slick, and it is a much better tire than the R3S05, in terms of grip and longevity. It's also stickier than every other tire on your list

• 2 weeks later...

Gents:

Thanks for the tire input. After looking around I'm going to try the Hankook Z211 for the car. Here's hoping!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

• 4 weeks later...
Be sure and let us know what you think!! I'm sure you made the right choice.

Jeff and Others:

Sorry for the delay in replying about hte Hankooks. I've been a bit busy since the first track day at Heartland Park with the KC Audi club.

The Hankook Z211's did great. A friend on Pilot Cups noted (after chasing he and an Elise around Heartland Park) they expected the Hankook's to "go off" but they never did in two days of hard driving. Previous brand of track tire (DOT-R) I used (won't mention names) would inevitably get greasy the last 1-2 laps of a 20-minute run session, the Z211's never did.

Heartland park is notoriously hard on right side tires so I did switch the Z211's side to side on day two for more even wear. Probably extended the life a bit for the HPDE season.

All in all, the Hankook's from my friends at Frisby Tire (http://www.FrisbyRaceTire.com) have worked out very well. Not only are they priced right, but a great track day tire. When the Z211's are shot, I'll move to the Z214 (probably C50 compound) as the Z211's are all but sold out in my size.

Happy Motoring and I hope to see you at the track!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

• 2 weeks later...

I hope somebody's still watching this thread! is $120/tire a good price for these hoosiers: P225/40ZR-18 DOT Race Radial A3S05 Discontinued? i'm not going to buy them at the moment cause i'd like to use what i have before i go buying dedicated track tires [cause i wanna get a trailer for the rims/tires/tools], but i'm trying to get an idea of price. i'd imagine there's a wide range, but i oftentimes go with what's nearly the cheapest "deal". thanks!

I hope somebody's still watching this thread! is $120/tire a good price for these hoosiers: P225/40ZR-18 DOT Race Radial A3S05 Discontinued? i'm not going to buy them at the moment cause i'd like to use what i have before i go buying dedicated track tires [cause i wanna get a trailer for the rims/tires/tools], but i'm trying to get an idea of price. i'd imagine there's a wide range, but i oftentimes go with what's nearly the cheapest "deal". thanks!

Please consider doing a season or two on street tires before making the jump to R-comp's... street tires communicate (and slide) much more easily, which will make you a better driver in the long run.

225's are too narrow for a big car like yours and A3S05's are the autocross compound anyway.

+1 for the Toyo Proxes RA1. Although I can't wait to try the Hankooks.

Jon

• 1 month later...

just updating my research on wheel/tire combos for next season. i'm thinking a compromise would be the falken azenis tires, or one like them, that are still "street" tires but still a good general track tire as well. like i've posted before, i've got the '07 mustang and am wondering about weight/width/diameter ratios. i'll probably learn some at summit point, but does anybody here know what the mustang drivers run? 17s or 18s? staggered? 9 inch wide wheels or more or less? how heavy of a wheel would be acceptable? i currenly have some stock fanblades that are 18 x 8.5 but they're a tad too narrow and 30 pounds seems heavy from what i've been reading. any feedback is appreciated. i've tried to get into the corner-carver forum to sit in the background and just learn but no answer yet from the moderators.

I understand the need for "info for later".... but once you just "get out and drive what you have"....your perspective should change.

...Please consider doing a season or two on street tires ... street tires communicate (and slide) much more easily, which will make you a better driver in the long run.

Cant emphasize this enough.

Bottom line is this.......rather than search the internet for every last option for your car.....try spending that time reading books on performance driving and car set up. During that time DO NOTHING TO YOUR CAR.

These books will give you the same advice.

Perhaps write down all these questions and through conversation at various track events you go to over the next 2 years you can fill in those answers. I am willing to bet that if you were to prioritize what you feel is important now....in 3-5years of performance driving that list will either be obsolete or will completely invert.

Besides. Next year there may be new tires on the market from Hankook, Toyo, and Bridgstone....etc....that is going to completely change all of this.

fine.

but i just can't help always thinking/wondering/planning what's next. sorta how i'm wired, for better or for worse. doesn't help that i sit at this computer all day and my way of dealing with the boredom is to day dream about this stuff.

i'll get my hands on some books and maybe that will calm down the ever-churning drive to "do stuff" to the car. thanks.

there are many books at Amazon to be had quickly. There is also alot to be read on the net.

Believe me, we all share your passion and many of us have wasted time along the way and have looked back and said " if only I had done this...."

Take this advice.

See you at Hyperfest?

fine.

LOL there's nothing wrong with asking questions and planning changes. Our point is simply that for now, your main changes should be to the driver not the car. Come to as many events as you can, and talk to as many people as you can (especially experienced people running similar cars.) And just drive drive drive, to maximize what you've already got and figure out what needs improving.

As for tires, I haven't used the "new" Azenis (RT-615) but some people say it gets greasy and slidey on bigger cars like yours and mine during track work. I did a season of events in the M3 on that Kumho Ecsta MX (cheap from Tire Rack, and sticky) with zero complaints. Sliding around on street tires is fun.

As for books, these are good:

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/Page.html

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Solo-Racing-Techniques-Autocrossing/dp/0962057312/

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Win-Essential-Guide-Driving/dp/0965160009/

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262/

Hope it helps,

Jon

mos def see you at hyperfest! should i be looking for the yellow mustang [back together again?] and the green m3 taxi? my g-friend and i haven't decided whether we're working the event or just having fun [been emailing with Laura the coordinator], but either way i'm doing a hyperdrive at least once and will look for a ride around the track with jon or whoever. i'm going to work at VIR in July to earn some credits and meet some peeps. can't wait!!!

mos def see you at hyperfest!

glad to hear it.

should i be looking for the yellow mustang [back together again?]

yes, goes in the body shop tomorrow morning actually.

and the green m3 taxi?

that too.

i'm going to work at VIR in July to earn some credits ...

We'll see you then as well.