Steering wheel quick-release spec?

spdracer22

I have a QR mechanism similar to that and have had no problems.

There are many options that will pass tech.

Thanks for the reply Renntag.

I didn't see anything in the CCR and just wanted to make sure...

The CCR doesnt get into detail regarding types of QR mechanisms. I would imagine this is because there hasnt been one that suffered a catastrophic failure, needing a rule update "All except type X"

Best of luck.

The CCR doesnt get into detail regarding types of QR mechanisms. I would imagine this is because there hasnt been one that suffered a catastrophic failure, needing a rule update "All except type X"

Best of luck.

I've seen a couple funny but scary videos of peoples wheels coming off durring a race. I have no idea what they were using though.

My thoughts would be that if you can get away without a quick release, you might as well do it.

I know for me, I need to bring the steering wheel about 3" closer to my body than stock. That will make it harder to get in and out of the car hence needing the QR.

My plan is to lower the seat 1", then move it rearward maybe 3 inches. I think a momo/sparco adapter should move the wheel out a couple inches, but I might need around 1" more...at which point it might become difficult to get in and out with the wheel in the way...so I'd be in the same situation...

berny, renntag: what QR's do you use?

I think a momo/sparco adapter should move the wheel out a couple inches, ...

The 3-bolt to 6-bolt adapter on my QR is 1/2" thick. My car was originally set up for a much taller/larger person, so once I got my seat mounted I needed the wheel farther back. I used these: http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1420

2" (2 1/2" with the adapter) is about the max before a) it becomes a stretch to work the QR ring quickly, and b) the distance of the wheel from the QR splines makes the wheel starts to make the spline clearance noticeable.

My plan is to lower the seat 1", then move it rearward maybe 3 inches. I think a momo/sparco adapter should move the wheel out a couple inches, ....

berny, renntag: what QR's do you use?

On my CMC mustang. I dropped the column 3-4 inches and then welded on a hexagon shaped steering shaft adaptor for a quick release. The QR hub has a 3 bolt pattern so fortunately I needed the wheel even closer and gained another 1/2" with a 3 to 6 bolt adaptor. Works like a champ and was easy to install.

On my Porsche I use the ball type mentioned in the original post.

Sorry I forget who makes the hex adaptor type QR in my race car. I purchased it from a race supplier here on the east coast for 40-50$ I believe.