Hello! New to the Board and race world

924sman

Nice place here! I would like to start off with a question. I need the race ride height for a 924S. I would like your specs on the distance from ground to bottom rocker panel front to rear. I am in the middle of a T bar replacement. I also have a method to reindex in less than 5 minutes for those interested and no boring a hole in side body to boot!! Hope you all can help me get my car ride height set! I wish to lower to a point NOT to stress the A arms. TIA! Dal

Wow, I'm not the moderator or the janitor, but I found it alarming no one responded to your post. I'm and the "Black Sheep" welcome, I just rant and rave. But there is alot of experts on this forum. Hang with us and I'm sure someone will assist you.

Can't wait to hear how you re-index in 5 minutes or less, sounds like my cooking.

Blacky

I can't even get out of bed in the morning in 5 minutes!

I'm sure we would love to hear how to re-index in that amount of time?

Cheers,

P.Dilly.

Dal, we've spoken through RENNLIST. So I've given you some numbers already. i unpacked the car today, so now it's measuring 4.25" front and rear. That's measured at the leading and trailing edge of the rocker panel.

Are you going to build your car to 944-spec rules or PCA GT-4S? You could start another 944-spec group out there.

Dal... Welcome!

I responded with some number on Rennlist (M758 there) I don't have access to measure my car, but tim's numbers are probably good. Maybe better since he runs a 924S. The 944 body might be slightly different at the rockers anyway.

Dal, we've spoken through RENNLIST. So I've given you some numbers already. i unpacked the car today, so now it's measuring 4.25" front and rear. That's measured at the leading and trailing edge of the rocker panel.

Are you going to build your car to 944-spec rules or PCA GT-4S? You could start another 944-spec group out there.

Well I am done with the new suspension set up and the car is at 5" F/R and really got down to business in corner balancing! The car is at 50% on the nose for X balance. Could not believe my eyes when the scale read 50%!!!!! Went for a 2.25 neg Camber and right on, Toe is perfect and the Caster is as well.

I will be running PCA I class or H prepared. No clue what class my car would be in the Spec series?! Really lost on all the classes SCCA etc have. I don't know ITS from ABC! I would love a series here in the Midwest! That is what is keeping me out of 944 Cup-Spec series.

As far as the indexing goes all I have to do is jack up the trailing arm and reset to the desired location. How I got it that way was to cut off the end caps off the spring plate torsion tube. Now the T bar ends are exposed and can be pulled out as far as the fender will allow, but only a 1/2" is needed to free the tension on the spring plate and eccentric adjuster. (my terms maybe off)......SORRY but you must go through the whole routine at least once to be able to reindex in the manner mentioned. Some bore a hole in the body to access the T bars but on a 924S there is just enough room to pull the bar out. In order to pull the bars I drilled and tapped to fit a 3/8 bolt 9/16" head. Screw the bolt in and pull the bar out 1/2" or so and walla free spring plate and can now move the entire wheel up or down to position where you want it.

M758 and myself both have the method down to reindex in minutes but I think he drops the entire Torsion Tube Carrier then lays the whole thing flat on the ground and moves his bars. But if you are considering this upgrade(T bars) I would strongly suggest that you replace all the bushings and what a world of difference it will make!!! So if you are into EZ fixes this is not one of them but really suggest you do go through the whole rear end for a better understanding of suspension and how your car handles.

Hey all thanks for the WELCOME and info and looking forward to MIXING IT UP with you all!!! Dal

Dal, I can't keep up with the SCCA classes either. That's the beauty of our 944-spec class. There IS only one class. All the 944's and 924S's are in the same class. You just have to get together with some other 944 racers around there and start a group. Everyone agrees to stick to the spec rules and you're off and running.

Tim....I know of 3- 944na cars in the region(Iowa). In PCA I class its 3 to 4 tops out here, not many of us the rest are S's and 951's. There are many 944na's here but they all are "wine and cheesers"...no offense to those who own the car for the social gatherings! Only 2 in Iowa that CR PCA, the other is my buddy in a 911 GT4 car. Dal

Dallas,

Yep. But that's how it starts..........The cars are so cheap to build and race that once you start a group, some of the wine and cheeser's may end up building a race car or buying one.

Sorry about your racing shoes being too tight. I've got an extra pair of black, size 9 Simpson's for sale/trade? Don't know if they run on the large side or not.

Tim,

I will just have to go to one of the gatherings and" spike the punch" then convince them to race their 944's!

I have the Simpson boots. Problem is they are better slippers than racing shoes for me. Too soft of a sole and it affects my heal/toe work. I like the Sparco sole as it is much stiffer. Thanks though! Dal