Welcome "Pappy's" Black Sheep #69

TheWho

OK: I'm really struggling to be this tame.

First off, at my age I don’t need any friends! I have more enemies then I can keep in touch with and most get Christmas Cards, they cost a lot more than true friends. After all, how can auto racers be “true” friends? There’s always room for error.

Anderson Motorworks! Problems, maybe, maybe not! If you haven’t dealt with them, don’t judge them (its Easter). In MHO whatever’s been said is between JGrow and JA to resolve. NOT MY PROBLEM.

What’s left: well, with a limited amount of capital I was afforded the opportunity to step into a Spec car that was “Tits” (hope I don’t pi^s off the moderator again) from ground up. Most of you know the expense involved with racing, entry fees, maintenance, travel, etc.

My arrangement rocks and AMW is building more cars. I arrive, and drive! Not a bad way to join a spec racing series. If you run great, finish great, win greatest, a shunt (NotYourProblem)! AT least you get home on time. AND we want to mix it up with most of you!

Neal has proved with his 2 days in the car that it manages to keep up with the rest of you (:35 @ WS and :55 @ CSW "ok I’m being a TIM"). I on the other hand am struggling to get a license (greatest expense) to keep up with the rest of you; however, my times put me in the top third of the pack at the tracks we’ve been to.

Honestly my gig will be with POC only, after all its a Porsche and deserves to be in it proper venue. Not a dis against NASA's great series'.

Hopefully, my comments haven’t been offensive or abrasive: however the Mobil car has no right slandering another shop it’s never been too!

Rock ON!

Pappy’s Black Sheep!

Neal has proved with his 2 days in the car that it manages to keep up with the rest of you (:35 @ WS and :55 @ CSW "ok I’m being a TIM").

#69 has done those times on spec tires? If so, I'm scared, I'm honestly scared!! Dang, that's some quick peddling around those tracks! Hey, can you guys come beat a 911 owned by CW for us?

Cheers,

P.Dilly.

I can almost believe a 1:35 at WS in a 944 Spec car as Rick White did those times with Kumho's and more weight but a 1:55 at CSW? That's about 8 seconds faster than our best drivers. I looked at the CFoS on Mylaps and Neal did a 2:07 but albeit not all times are posted and I didn't see your name there or on the POC's records. When did you run those times? And if you did run a 1:55 at CSW can I talk you into hopping into my car and showing me the line your taking? My best was a 2:10 and that was my first time on the track plus I was sorting out handling issues. I would love to know your secrets as there are a few people I'd like to spank!!

Can't wait till April at WS!!!

Eric

Well shizzle. Apparently my car has been slandering other shops...great, thats one more thing I have to get fixed.

Yep... 1:35 at Willow May be possible in a spec car. In my second weekend there I turned a high 1:39 in 100+F heat and based on Rick White best time I'd say possible. Then offiical track record is a 1.39 and change from "Track Record Timmy" back in September, again in the heat.

1:55 at California Speedway is not going to happen without some serious HP. I don't see it happening at all right now. Ariano (on Toyo's in fact) and Wirken have run a few 2:02's at California Speedway in good cool temps. These are strong cars getting 7 MORE seconds is highly doubltfull. Give them 20-30 more hp and maybe. No way with a car to spec. If did happen I love so see it and be proven wrong. If you said 2:00 then I might believe that more. Even so it is smoking fast.

David... Sorry to see you are not planning to Race NASA. Personnally I find the whole "I only want to race/drive with Porsche's." That some member of the PCA/POC community (not just spec) both in So-Cal and Az have is very elitist. Yes I race a Porsche and I want to race one. I really don't care to race anything else, but I am not so above everyone else to say that I don't want to race with Mazda's or Honda's and even have them beat the pants off me. Those guys are racers too and all they want do is drive. Many could race a Porsche, but chose not to. No need to make it seem like it is step down to race with non-Porsche's.

I guess locally here is differet without the POC. PCA here does 1 club race only in the last few years and a few DE's again only in the last few years. So most hardcore Az track guys a very comfortable with non Porsche's. I do race with PCA and will be instructing at Local PCA DE next weekend. I have friends that race/drive there and want to support my local club. I has less to do with cars on the track, but the people off it.

Our NASA group has a nice mix of drivers. These are new people to meet and have fun with. The spec group is getting to be a nice solid group. To me that is a plus. There are also a number of non-spec drivers that are good guys and fun to drive with. Plus around here Dan seems to have organized a very compeitive run group made up of spec classes. Spec Miata, Spec Mini Cooper S and 944-spec. Good deal in my mind since all these cars are similar speed low hp momentum cars. It is great fun running with this group.

So go and race POC if you would like. I rather it be becuase you have friends and like the people, like the tracks and/or the scedule works. I just don't like to see the elitst attitude that says I have to race with other Porsche's or it is beneath me.

Sorry for my rant, but this hit nerve and it realy pisses me off to see the Porsche driver as an elist prick sterotype furthered.

Edited by Guest

Perhaps those times were run in the red, non spec, 944. That car has a larger displacement and/or a turbo. At CSW after the Sunday sprint race, Neal told me personally that his best time of the weekend came during that race and was a 2:05.

Whoa, hold on a minute. I need to clarify some lap times. My unofficial lap times at WSIR in full spec legal trim was a 1:39.2. I did this many times in the heat of the day. The trip was for a shakedown. We've made some improvements after discovering issues on the car that likely slowed it down. I think mid to high 38's are very possible. As far as a 35 at WSIR?? Don't think I can do it in a spec car. However, I was there racing on the track at the same time when Rick did it in his 924S. If it can be done in a spec car he will do it. Rick is very good.

Ca Speedway. Best lap of the weekend for me was a 2:05.1 in the cup race. I had the fastest lap of the race for a full legal "spec" car as far as I know. Benbow was right there with a 2:05.751. I think Jonathon and maybe one other person was in the 2:02 range on different tires in the previous day's sessions. I don't think the tires made up 3 seconds? Jonathon is a good driver. I'm sure he is faster than me. I try to keep the attitude that I am always a student because I know there are always going to be better drivers I can learn from. Racing is very finicky, some days you and the car are on and some days you and / or the car are not. That is what keeps me coming back.

This is a fun racing venue. I had a great time in my first race in the car. I got to know Jonathon and Chaz from AZ. They were very cool guys and they shared info on tire pressures with me the rookie. Jonathon made a self-described "aggressive" move on me in the qual. session and made a point to see me in the drivers meeting to say so. That was cool. Racing with Chris B was a blast. We had thumbs ups after the race and a good post race conversation which was complimentary of each other's driving and race etiquitte. That's what its all about in my opinion.

As far as shops go, to each his own. If it doesn't work for you at one place then do yourself and the shop a favor and move on. Both sides will be happier. So please, keep the blanket unwelcome to this crowd type of statements toward any individuals or shops to yourself. Especially if you do not have any first person experience. It does no one any good. A shop's performance will be measured by cars being at the track and finishing. In this series, it doesn't matter where the car finishes as long as it finishes. Due to the fact that the cars should be really close to equal, the driver will determine the finishing position, not the car.

As far as clubs to run with I think POC is a great place for us. Not due to any elitist attitude. Rather, I think it will help grow the series with guys who have cars they are time trialing and do not want to convert to racecars. They can go racing in a the marque they like for much less while enjoying clean racing with qualified drivers all around. Also, POC is a good value for the dollar. Lots of track time and a full schedule.

I like the series so much that I am building another car. Can't wait to mix it up with a big pack!!!!!

Lastly, a big thumbs up to Timmy. I appreciate the time he puts into the series. (BTW, Mr. P Dilly keep up the funnies and the jabs with Timmy. They're great and you make me laugh on every post!) I like his race reports. I like his positive attitude. I like how he squashes any thoughts of straying form the rules. I don't like the fact that he is so damn fast!!!! Tim raises the bar for all of us and that's a great thing.

Neal Wright

DRIVER IN TRAINING

into a Spec car that was “Tits” (hope I don’t pi^s off the moderator again)

Just wanted to clarify that the forum automatically moderates- there isn't a person changing words. It is just a machine behind the changes.

Thanks for the kind words, Neal. I try hard to do it right, on and off track.

You might oughta get a new PR guy!!

Just kidding!

I have to jump on board with this topic, as most know I dont ussually get going on these "HOT" topics.

Your Statement I only want to race with Porsche only! What kind of attitiude is that? Who cares who you drive with - I have to tell you I have had more fun running with the Mini Coopers and Miatas, than I have with the 944 guys! Lets face the facts our cars are pretty slow on the track, they are not a Set up E30 or an M3, 911 or anything else. But what I dont understand is you do have good NASA/PCA porsche competition in SoCal and AZ, I know this for a fact I would assume drive with your gang of guys than running with a club race some where else! The other issue is that you will not become a better racer doing just PCA DE/HPDE events, if you want to just run around for hot laps and look the RACE CAR driver part then PCA and NASA HPDE is the place to be.

But I have to say your attitiude and your actions in the last couple of days is kinda of suspect. The real question at this point is, are you the person we want to be driving with? The anger you have displayed on a forum is any indication of what your attitiude might be on a track, I might not want you anywhere near my car! So dude chill! Relax, smoke a bowl, find your center what ever you need to do, but get yourself in check! We at NASA and I think I speak for everyone here is that 944 Spec is here for FUN, cheap racing, I want to enjoy my club members as much off the track as on the track. So suck it up be nice, and evaluate why your are racing, if it is not about having a good time then ask yourself why you do this?

With 944 LOVE to share with all!

Jason

Edited by Guest

Whoa, hold on a minute. I need to clarify some lap times. My unofficial lap times at WSIR in full spec legal trim was a 1:39.2.

...Ca Speedway. Best lap of the weekend for me was a 2:05.1 in the cup race. ....

Neal these time sound much closer to what I would expect. I don't think I have seen (really heard) of a spec car at Willow in the cool season yet so I think 1:35 may be possible if Rick could turn what he did. Time will tell if really does happen. Heck I never though a 944-spec could run a 1:12 at PIR. But it happened twice. Chas Wirken did a 1:12.9 on Kumho's and I did a 1:12.9 Toyo's when I pulled my ballast (approx 50 lbs). We did this in PCA club race qualfying, so no offical anything, but I did back that 1:12.9 with 1:13.3 in 944-spec qualfying just before the rains hit a couple months ago. Previous track record was 1:15.

The 2:02's at CS were pretty good times. Jon was actually on Toyo's in spec trim. With the right conditions, and perfect lap that could go down a second or two. "Official" track record is a 2:04 something by Timmy again.

As far as clubs to run with I think POC is a great place for us. Not due to any elitist attitude. Rather, I think it will help grow the series with guys who have cars they are time trialing and do not want to convert to racecars. They can go racing in a the marque they like for much less while enjoying clean racing with qualified drivers all around. Also, POC is a good value for the dollar. Lots of track time and a full schedule.

Neal those are valid reasons to race POC. I don't have issue with those. I would rather see folks racing with NASA since they were the ones to give us the shot to get this going, but I can't fault you for those reasons. I have seen it local here in Az were some of our less frequent DE drivers seem like they don't want to drive on track with a Honda or Subaru. They seem think that those guys are idiots. It is possbile that some are, but it is not due to the car they drive. I think is becuause they don't want ot be PASSED by a Honda or Subaru. I can't possibly be passed in my 150k 996 Turbo by some econobox honda! Wrong attitude.

Let never forget that in grand hierarchy that is Porsche the 944 NA is near the bottom. Being a 944 guy I am always aware of this and it burns me to see that kind of attitude in PCA ranks. So If don't like 911 folks dumping on 944 guys how can I stand for 944 racer dumping on Honda, Mazda's etc.

Edited by Guest

Well said Jason,

I will continue to run as many events as I can fit in my schedule. I don't mind dicing with other marks. It's just fun racing with anyone. Besides in the POC we're the slower cars there too! But I don't feel the POC is elitest. It was my first exposure to racing and I have a great group of friends there who has taught me alot. But I have that with NASA too! So I'm not picking just one venue to run just adding more "Opportunities" to my schedule.

And I also agree with Jason - Lets keeps it Civil. All we want is some good clean fun and to go home the weekend in one peice.

Eric

Yeah Jeff, it sounds like a few of us are Driver's with boat anchors if those times are driver in training?

To touch on a point, POC is a great bunch of guys, but lets not forget the crap we are getting from the 911 guys Eric. It's the exact same as saying I don't like running with Miata's or Honda's. We are the ugly black sheep of the POC world, we need to earn our stripes and I suspect that is what we will do. I also think running with POC will hopefully pick up some more guys. My buddy Jason bought my old car at that POC event, now he's running with NASA also. I told him about buying a 944 spec before needing to sell my car and I guess he just didn't hear what I was saying? Because as soon as he drove my car, he loved it! He was quicker in the spec car in 2 laps than he had been all day in his M Coupe!

As for Tim's ego, lets all stop telling him he's good, get one of those mirrors from the fair that make you look fat and put it in front of him. Bring his self esteem down to a point where he just waves us by because he's thinking "how did I get so chunky, I eat the McDonalds salads?".

P.Dilly.

Just to raise the bar a little higher I was informed that Jon A has run 2:02's with Toyo's! That of course is about 2 seconds faster than Timmy's official record!

Seems like the AZ guys can hold their own!

All: Sorry for the ill attempt of humor with "...those times"! Please, let me clarify, those were on the AWM pit hog at Walmart not the Spec-Car. Note I said "I'M BEING A TIM" meaning don't BELIEVE ME!!

Jason AZ: "Elitist", thanks man, that's the kindest thing anyone's ever said to me. Even my enemies aren't that endearing. I struggle to keep a job and I collect aluminum cans to keep my old $700.00 Porsche up and running. I always thought F-1 or those GT3 owners were Elite. I never had a clue I was so close to that echelon.

No hatred or hostilities to speak of, last time I went to the medic I was good with more bowls like you said. Attitude: Of Porsche verses the world: I believe it's my discretion who I run with. I just BELEIVE Porsche guys are better drivers. Sorry if I offended U. MHA.

D.Pilly you are funny! Keep giving it to Tim the VASTard!

Poorman Black Sheep II

D.Pilly you are funny! Keep giving it to Tim the VASTard!

Have you seen my driving? Humor might be all I have!! Unless there's an award for chicken legs, that one I'm a shoe-in!