Trailer WINCH recommendations?

davidfarmer

looking for something cheap, but not TOO cheap.

Say you've got 20deg ramps, 3000lbs x sin(20)=1026lbs. However, I don't trust companies ratings.

Some good deals on ebay, but again, sometimes they are too good.

I went overkill. I wanted to be able to put anything on my trailer that the trailer is rated to haul. That means 5000 lbs max. I was shopping for the 6000 Warn, but found the 8000 for cheaper. About $500 plus the wiring kit and mounting plate.

too much $$$$. I'll be lucky to get one set of new tires a year, and I'm not putting $500 into a winch.

Have a $100 Harbor freight on the way. Sure it will be slow, but time I can afford.

I've (finally) sold my big hauler, bought a small enclosed trailer, and just trying to find a way to do a few fun racer per year.

Thanks for all of the input.

...Harbor freight...

I buy stuff from there, but nothing that could destroy my car or kill me, so just make sure you have some way to stop the car quickly if/when the cable breaks.

if it looks the least bit unsafe, or the steel cable sub-par, it will definitely go back. I haven't survived 20 years of racing cutting corners on the important stuff.

David,

I had the 8000lb Harbor Freight winch on my open trailer before I moved to a enclosed, never had to use it but for 300.00 it looked like it would do the job. I plan on picking up another one along with a couple of their tire dollys in case something really bad happens and the car has to be dragged into the trailer with out wheels/suspension ect...