944 racing in Texas?

kidrex

I currently reside in NJ and am in the process or building a 944 for the 944cup/challenge series. I chose this car primarily because of the amount of cars and competition in the area. It is looking like I may be making a move to texas, houston area, in the near future. Is there anyone out there racing 944s? If so what spec are the built to?

Thanks

I have been driving in Texas quite a bit the last 2 years. 2 club races with PCA at MSR and a quite a few events with The Drivers Edge (TWS and MSR). Texas and NASA Midwest are the no mans land as of now. It seems all of the 944 classes are growing at the same rate in NASA Midwest (3 944-spec cars done or in build, lots of 944's that could race in Cup but as of now have not too many have done so ). As for Texas the last PCA race (MSR) had 3 SP2 cars and I was there with my SP1.

I would say 944-spec is easy to make into a cup car but not the other way around ... but ... if there are no 944-spec cars to race with 944 Cup is faster and better chance of getting a full field.

Chuck

Thanks svochuck. My car is currently planned to be built to SP2 spec, just unsure of going the ITS or PCA route at the moment. Knowing that theres a few racing there already gives me a better feeling about it. Now just have to get it finished and recover from knee surgery enough that I can use a clutch again

BTW...Denvers pretty far from Dallas area. Do you drive all the way down for the races? Just curious because if I don't end up in Houston I will be in Colorado. I've narrowed it down to just those two.

BTW...Denvers pretty far from Dallas area. Do you drive all the way down for the races? Just curious because if I don't end up in Houston I will be in Colorado. I've narrowed it down to just those two.

I drove/towed down there one time last year. I have rich friends who don't mind me driving their cars ( 911 cup car, 550 HP 930, Mini S, 996 TT AWD...) it's all fun as long as I don't out run them

As for colorado We would love to have a 944 Cup car out here to Chase (and grow that class) as of now we have 5 built 944-spec cars and 6 or 7 944-spec cars that will be ready for our pueblo event in july .

Chuck

I'm going to be living both in Dallas and St. Louis (long story), so I intend to race my 944 Spec car with NASA/PCA and in ITS with the SCCA in both the Midwest and Texas.

For the next couple of seasons, I'll probably do more races in the Midwest and just do some early and late races in the Texas region (where it is warmer). Long term I'll race it were ever the fields are the biggest.

-bj

Kid,

I don't have any 944 contacts in Texas just yet, but I'd be willing to bet that if you built a 944 spec car and showed it to people there, they'd build more of them.

...just like they have in every group we've started around the country. I was the first in SoCal. I went to Cal Speedway and got alot of attention for the class. And now look at the group we have here.

"Build it and they will come."

Well mine will almost definately be built to PCA I class so not the spec series...but it's all the same sorta now that NASA combined them into the one series. Also ITS is an option, but tough due to the high cost to really be competitive in it. I don't have the money or time to switch to a different car or series so I will have the 944 wherever I go and hopefully we can get a good group of them going if they aren't already.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Oh man, the Hallett Summer Shootout is going to be awesome this year. You guys within range need to mark off your calendars: June 12/13. We'll have cars from Texas, RMR, MW, GL...AI/CMC had 35 cars at Hallett last year and ran a nationals style format: qualifying races to grid for a 45 minute main event for all the marbles.

In addition... here's some other fun stuff planned.

$500 cash for the winner of the Hanksville Challenge Race. All race cars are welcome to enter the challenge race, but we are capping the entries at 36 cars.

BIG Saturday Night Party. We've already been planning a menu from a local place. BBQ, Fried Okra, Cornbread, etc. Plus enough room in kegerators for three kegs and the slushy machine. Music, videos and we can fire up the big campfire over at T5/T6.

Hallett honestly has some of the best track food anywhere and very reasonably priced. Great full plate breakfasts, awesome burgers, etc.

Since Hallett is a park like setting, it's a great place to bring the family and camp out (provided they like places like that). They can walk the entire center of the track and see everywhere. The track has showers. Many of the staff and racers will be bringing RVs and pop-ups, so it'll be like a private campground but with race cars! It can get stinking hot, but the downstairs room has A/C.