Emissions Test

Trevor Myrus

Hello All,

I took the 944 in today for an Emissions test and didn't pass, Therefore I need some assistance.

My Car: Applicable Standards

Hydrocarbons 1.30 1.60

Carbon Monoxide 11.26 15.00

Oxides of Nitrogen 2.83 2.50

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor Myrus

1988 944

?????????????

Sorry,buddy. I'm not ignoring you. I'm just a driver. It looks like only the one category was high. Couldn't the shop testing tell you what the problem was. Bad O2 sensor, bad cat, etc?

Unfortunately the shop couldn't tell me, they only said "well, it could be a number of things"..... No Kidding.... Duh! and yes only high in one catagory. Thankfully..

Thanks for the reply though Tim.

Trevor Myrus

1988 944

Ok...

What has been done to the car.. IE non-stock engine stuff?

Chip? You do still have the Cat in place right. Running pump 87 or 91 right.

Oh you had the Cat good and hot right? Left it idling the entire time at station? My Stock Turbo S failed after I shut off the motor and let the cat cool.

O2 sensor could be bad. This often cause poor gas mileage also. Are your injectors clean? You have been driving the car so that should not be an issue. Do you have all vacuum line routed correctly?

There is PCA DE this weekend at the East track (4/17)

A PCA autocross 4/24 and Also 5/8.

I'll be at all of them. Without the spec car however.

The car is stock, no mod's except for 220# springs upfront and Bilstien struts. Vacuum lines are correct and intact. The car at idle when sitting at the station. 87 octane. Cat still there and original (I think).

Trevor Myrus

1988 944

Well the issue of Emissions is corrected. Turns out the Previous owner(s)

had an aftermarket exhaust system installed. There is something to be said for OE things. Just wanted to let everyone know who responded to my post. Thanks guys.

Trevor Myrus

1988 944

?????????????

Sorry,buddy. I'm not ignoring you. I'm just a driver. It looks like only the one category was high. Couldn't the shop testing tell you what the problem was. Bad O2 sensor, bad cat, etc?

Tim,

Here in AZ, we don't have shops do the testing like in CA. It's a contractor named Gordon-Darby (http://www.gordon-darby.com) who are the sole testers. They, shall we say, rake in some dough with that lucrative little monopoly, er...scam, er... I mean "contract," as, I'm sure, do many of the local politician$.

The Gordon-Darby employees are generally minimum wage kids and societal rejects who like to do things like grind gears and try to launch 911s into the car in front of them. I speak from experience. A neighborhood kid used to work there. The guy's typically high as a kite, and seriously wouldn't know a carburettor from EFI.

Other differences:

- No 30 year rule in AZ. All cars tested from 1967 on up, inclusive.

- Cars made after 1979 get tested bi-annually. 1979 and older get tested annually.

- Full visual inspection. A slightly kinked hose will fail you, even if everything else is clean as a spring breeze. No logic, no knowledge of the system, just "zero tolerance" and blind following. Again, experience.

So, the "shop" employees doing the testing would have no clue. They typically are people who just got fired from McDonalds for leaving the fries in the grease too long.

Ask me how I really feel.

Sounds like Trev got it worked out though. All's well, etc.

Wow.............glad you're not bitter, Tom!

Maybe California's not such a bad place to live.

Have we met? I can't recall the #75 car.....

Hey Tim!

We've not met. I'm just geting started in wheel-to-wheel racing, and am running in an organization similar to NASA (which shall remain nameless here for conflict of interest reasons) very local to me until I get the feel for it. Next year I'll probably go for the SCCA license and get involved with the S944 class.

The #75 Blue Meanie is my own creation. I bought it a step away from the junkyard, rebuilt it, upgraded the suspension, worked out the dents, stripped it, installed the cage, seats, harness, etc., made a complete new wiring harness for it, cussed at it, frequently gave up on it, occasionally kicked it (then fixed those dents), bought parts from eBay and 20th Street, painted it in my garage, and designed, cut, and applied all the graphics. I had help from Joe S on the torsion bars and doing a preemptive replacement of the rod bearings, but all else was solo.

The car has been through 8 SCCA events as a rental (made the cover of the January SoPac SCCA newsletter with Steve Sanett driving) and two local sanctioning body events with no DNFs and solid performance each time. So, I'm pretty close to the car. In fact, I'm gazing about for another one. As a mechanical engineer, the creation was the best part. The driving's a real blast too though.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll meet at some point. Check out the website sometime - there are links to pictures of the cars and drivers on the "Drivers" page.

TTYL!

That was funny, entertaining, and real. I bought an 83 944 for $500! Then I found my 924S with a cage, seats, harnesses, 2 sets of wheels, lots of fresh stuff, for $5,000! Made the easy decision to sell the 944 right away!

I bought the 924S on a Tuesday, and drove it out to PIR and raced it that same weekend. Got my A$$ handed to me, but had a blast hanging out with the 944 guys. It's been fun and I brought the seed back to San Diego and planted it out here. We have a great core group now and if you look at Joe Paluch's website under the Drivers/car numbers listing, you'll see that we have almost 50 cars between the 2 groups. Some are still being built, some guys are earning their licenses. Our newest is Joe Anselmo from SSF Imported Auto Parts! Car #96. (yet another 951 convert!)