autocross tech: how tight do lugs have to be?

jon dawes

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. my first event is May 5 at cumberland, md. among other things, i'm wondering if i need to have a specific torque spec for my lugs. sounds dumb, but i use my ratchet wrench to get them on/off because the holes are too narrow for a normal lug wrench and haven't purchased an adaptor yet.

suggestions?

recommendations?

requirements?

criticisms?

evolutionary theories?

thanks!

always love an excuse to buy more tools!!!! while we're on the subject, does it matter which kind i get? i figure if i spend $100 [craftsman or husky brand] i'll get one worth buying, but no more use than i'll get out of it i may just look for the cheapest one. what's the consensus???

a lot of people will give you a lot of different responses.

me, I got the cheapest click-type one i could find. I think it was like 30 something dollars at advance auto parts. Made by AmPro.

Its worked fine for quite a while now.

torque wrench is your friend. even a $20 unit from harbor freight is perfectly fine for torqueing lugnuts. most japanese cars are only about 80 ft-lbs. just following your manual and maybe go 5 lbs higher...

cheap click torque wrench for wheels/suspension bits

expensive torque wrench for engines, and don't use it on anything else.

yes, this advice.

So assuming you wont be cracking open your 3valve motor any time soon, the cheapo clicker should get the job done.

To make life easier, get one with a longer handle.

If you call your local tire shop, they have a chart with wheel torque for just about every car ever made. A Carrera Gt is 465lb ft for the single nut by the way. It's usually a range, so go to the higher end and add 5.

thanks, discountire had the chart online. it's 100 lb.ft for my mustang. so why don't i just get a wrench and only put half of my bodyweight on it

thanks, discountire had the chart online. it's 100 lb.ft for my mustang. so why don't i just get a wrench and only put half of my bodyweight on it

Get a six inch wrench and put all your body weight on it

100 ft/lbs, torque them when the wheels/brakes are cold. do not hot torque.

that is all.

You'd better not torque my lugs to 100 ft/lbs.

I keep mine at 85 and have never had a problem. Check your owners manual. 5 ft/lbs won't hurt if you want a little more POM.

i'm simply repeating from what another mustang owner said and what i read on the chart discount tire uses. i honestly don't care how tight they are as long as they are really on there and the tech folks are happy!!! from my ABSOLUTELY naive opinion, not all lugs are to be torqued to the same specs, but most are relatively close to 100, unless you have a carerra gt [sp?].

btw: are you the $2006 GRM winner? if so, nice ride; if not, nevermind.

I keep mine at 85 and have never had a problem. Check your owners manual. 5 ft/lbs won't hurt if you want a little more POM.

95 is where my torque wrench is set.

i've got ARP studs, so i'm not too worried about them.

you gonna be at the cmp event in a few weeks?

95 is where my torque wrench is set.

i've got ARP studs, so i'm not too worried about them.

you gonna be at the cmp event in a few weeks?

Unfortunatly I have this pesky graduation thing to worry about. I've decided to hold off on racing until Roebling and get all my projects finished. I'll see everyone at RRR in May!

i'm simply repeating from what another mustang owner said and what i read on the chart discount tire uses. i honestly don't care how tight they are as long as they are really on there and the tech folks are happy!!! from my ABSOLUTELY naive opinion, not all lugs are to be torqued to the same specs, but most are relatively close to 100, unless you have a carerra gt [sp?].

85, 100 whatever, the biggest thing is that all the lug nuts on each wheel are the same, that way you have equal force holding the wheel on at each point. I too have ARP studs so I usually go to 95ish.