Why windows down on the track?

Warpedcow

Hmmm, interesting read A lot of time 'invested' in disputing a basic safety rule, probably better spent elsewhere.

There won't be any 'exceptions' to point-bys. Point-bys are a time-tested, reliable way of safely indicating that a pass can be initiated.....we simply cannot permit 'accidental' triggering of the turn-signal to potentially start an on-track incident. You don't 'accidentally' put your hand up over your car roof and point another car by. Any minor considerations (like leather interiors) are trumped by this non-negotiable safety requirement: the overtaking car MUST know when the car in front KNOWS he/she is behind them and is PREPARED to be passed.

-DE cars with windows up in this Region are told to lower them or they are black-flagged, end of story.

The OP's opinion(s) are noted, but to me, its getting more and more desperate to justify windows-up. This is a no-brainer, really - windows down.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• getfast

• white_2kgt

• kbrew8991

• Warpedcow

Hmmm, interesting read A lot of time 'invested' in disputing a basic safety rule, probably better spent elsewhere.

There won't be any 'exceptions' to point-bys. Point-bys are a time-tested, reliable way of safely indicating that a pass can be initiated.....we simply cannot permit 'accidental' triggering of the turn-signal to potentially start an on-track incident. You don't 'accidentally' put your hand up over your car roof and point another car by. Any minor considerations (like leather interiors) are trumped by this non-negotiable safety requirement: the overtaking car MUST know when the car in front KNOWS he/she is behind them and is PREPARED to be passed.

-DE cars with windows up in this Region are told to lower them or they are black-flagged, end of story.

The OP's opinion(s) are noted, but to me, its getting more and more desperate to justify windows-up. This is a no-brainer, really - windows down.

Well said! End of story, case closed!

And now to purposely derail this topic, which color is fastest? I say red since that's what Ferrari uses but I've seen some fast black cars, too.

And now to purposely derail this topic, which color is fastest? I say red since that's what Ferrari uses but I've seen some fast black cars, too.

I say bare carbon fiber black, closely followed by flat black.

Jon

Look it's red RED RED!!!!

You don't change safety rules to keep your interior clean/dry. You don't argue with 50 years of experience/convention in racing. Race cars don't have turn signals, HPDE drivers' windows are down, racers have nets up and NO GLASS!

Here's your point by . . (see it?)

no, pretty sure it's arrest me yellow.

Always thought the arrest me color was red but maybe that's different in your region

One more vote for red.

Always thought the arrest me color was red but maybe that's different in your region

One more vote for red.

eh, everyone has red around here, I see more yellow mustang pulled over than red

I'm still struggling with how to point by out the passenger window...maybe somebody can suggest some technique.

One more vote for red.

eh, everyone has red around here, I see more yellow mustang pulled over than red

My race car was originally burgundy when it was street legal. During the race prep process, I painted it yellow. Within 2-3 days I was pulled over. It still had the stock exhaust, and I was going the speed limit. .....I had a brake light inop and the trooper wrote me a warning......But they never would have known I had a brake light out, had they not pulled out and followed me 2 miles to the toll plaza where I had to hit the brakes to slow down.

We also have a bright red mustang, no such action in 2 years since new.

I'm still struggling with how to point by out the passenger window...maybe somebody can suggest some technique.

ask your instructor to do it for you

drive backwards?