Where are the rules posted now?

billpennock

I haven't been on the forum for awhile because I took the SCCA racing school and got my Novice license over there. Busy getting the car ready for ITS in SCCA but now that I've got that almost done I wanted to check the rules to see if I could make the car legal for both. But now I can't find the rules. I thought they used to be sticky at the top of the forum.

Bill,

Are you going to be running the Sept. event @ Thunder Hill? The SF region has the greatest tracks, not to mention the competition!

Some of the Spec-944 drivers from Phoenix are planning to run TH. We were set for Laguna as well the week before TH, but I understand it is now a pro weekend. It would be nice to see Bob's car and a fellow 944 driver. We are thrilled the way the class has grown and it sounds like the Southern Pacific NASA guys are having a blast.

Take care and best of racing~

Candi Stubblefield

Bill,

944-spec rules were posted in the 944-spec.com website.

Unfortunalty it seems that website is down right now.

Best thing is to contact Dan Webb direct. [email protected]

I don't know the details of ITS rules, but there some differences.

For example a fully prepared ITS motor is not Legal for 944-spec since ITS allows an overbore.

944-spec restrict shocks to low buck bilsteins or koni. Wheels are cookie's or Phone dials and toyo's the tire tire.

944-spec weight is lower 2600 with driver vs 2715 for ITS and well are little more liberal on the stuff that can be removed. 944-spec also allows a lower ride height.

It think it will be very hard to make a car competitive for in both classes, but it may be possible to make car legal for 944-spec and bit heavy by keeping things like heater core for SCCA. Of course this car would not be competitive in ITS, but you should be able to make it legal.

This is Bob Beck's old car so I if you keep the engine stock as he had it and the suspesion stuff pretty much the same (remember max 30 mm rear torsion bar) and made sure it was legal for ITS you are probably still legal for 944-spec too.

Bill,

Your driving talent aside, I'll bet you're going to get your clock cleaned in ITS class. The engine rules are the main reason. The guy who won the East Coast 944 Cup racing last year had a very expensive engine! They stacked weight penalties on him after each win, but he still over came the weight penalty.

I don't have anything to gain from this advice...........but, if I were you, I'd keep the car in 944-spec trim so that you could race legally in both, or other, sanctioning bodies. Better yet, talk some local 944 owners into prepping their cars to the 944-spec rules and have some tight, cheap racing wherever you race!

Thanks for the info and I'll try to get the rules. I know that ITS allows some things that 944-spec NASA does not like I can use my FUCH's in ITS. I figure that I have a ways to go to get competitive myself before I have to worry about car competitiveness. The engine stuff is, I think, where the most differences are, SCCA allows balancing and if I remember right 944-SPEC does not. Anyway I'll get the rules and see, right now there isn't a 944 group in anything in Northern Cal that I can find so I'm just looking for track time at this point. The car is a boat load of fun though.

Incidently the front sway bar is 31 mm but the back one is only 18 by my measure.

yeah, there's no better wheel than the Fuchs alloy for strength, lightness, even looks! But 7's and 8's cost about $700 a set. 7" x 15" phone dials or cookie cutters cost about $200 a set. Big difference. I can afford 3 sets of 944-spec wheels.

There's got to be a bunch of 944's up there. just spread the word. Check the PCA regions.

Your sway bars are 31 and 18? Non-adjustable? Welts are 28 and 22, so I imagine you could adjust them to act like 31's and 18's.

Bill,

Those are the 968 M030 Sway bars

Front is 30 mm Effective (Hollow I think) and the rear is 19 and 3 position adjustable. If it is not adjustable then probably a 18 mm Turbo S one.

Even so sway bars are free in 944-spec as long as they are NOT cockpit adjustable.

It is the rear torsion bars that are limited to 30 mm. Note that 30 mm is the largest common size, but you can "special order" bars to 33 mm I think. That is why we call out 30 mm max per rule.

Bill drive it and they will come. Guys will ask questions and it should build interest!

Bill,

you should just email Bob I am sure that he will be happy to tell you exactly what you have.. But This is what I think you have if my memory serves me right.

30mm Torsin bars

18mm Turbo SB Rear (Installed by Technodyne)

and a Weltmister Adjustable front Sway bar

You also have 250lbs front springs and Koni Sport Adjustables

No camber plates

I think that is it..

Jason

I think your right on all counts. My ignorance shows in that I didn't know the difference between and sway bar and a Torsion bar. So I'm guess'n now the sway is the one that goes all the way from one side to the other and the torsion is the one that I used to wrap my strap around to hold the car down (sticks out horizontally about 6 inches or so from the other suspension parts).

Hope your giggling by now

I'm just a driver!

Well, I think you can lable me mechanic now, based on my experience level. Seems to match some of the paid guys (and know, I don't mean the POC guys you probably jumped to the conclusion about) experience. Apart from stripping the car to head off, I once again stripped it down to intake and fuel rail off, have the injectors out for service, installed seats and mirrors, got windows and lights working, mounted harnesses and fire extinguishers. It's close, it's real close. Now to check the OTHER mechanical work I paid for, like clutches and gearboxes. How's my confidence level? Not sure?

P.Dilly.