Tire size point system?

V8VENOM

I'm a little unclear on how many points should be applied to the following:

FORD Cobra SVT

245/45 17 front stock upgraded to 275/40 17 front

245/45 17 rear stock upgraded to 315/35 17 rear

the rules say "Plus or minus sizing tires +1"

So do this mean +1 total or is it +1 per size increment combining front & rear for +10 total?

Thanks for the clarification. I think this will be the most bang for the buck classification/penalty as there is a huge difference in available traction from a single size up 245 to 255 vs. 245 to 315 -- yeowza!

• 6 months later...
there is a huge difference in available traction from a single size up 245 to 255 vs. 245 to 315 -- yeowza!

Yup, it should be +1 for every 10mm. Then you won't even need 4) Wheels and tires extend beyond original bodywork +2

• National Staff

TT is far from dead! We are growing rapidly in SoCal and Ohio. The guys in the NorthEast are pushing for TT now. Some of the Arizona and Nevada guys are joining us in SoCal. We are trying to take TT to a national level as well. The future of NASA TT looks good. It may take some time in some regions due to competition from other organizations. Talk to Steve Lock and ask him what's going on in NorCal. I think that a bunch of the TT guys there moved on to racing half way through the year.

We did talk to Steve Lock briefly, I think he is now consumed with racing also and I'm not sure who if anyone has picked up the HPDE TT ball for NorCal. I enjoy TT, hope it continues with NorCal folks. Combined event would be excellent -- gives some place for us ex-racers to go that can't afford to continue racing.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:52 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Greg G.

"The [NASA class] calculator is based on the revised rules that were published mid-year: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/nasa-x_tt_classes_update.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/nasa-x.pdf

In the SoCal region, we will not be adopting these rules until the 2005 season. One of the changes in the revised rules is the removal of the extra point for plus or minus sizing tires."

So, as I understand, +/- size tires will not be an issue after 2004?

Neon2dmaX

Yes, that would be my thought also. But is HPDE TT dead ?? -- no mention of it last event at Infineon Oct 23/24.

I don't know if I would say dead. I think NASA's TT will grow into something big. Just like SCCA's Solo2, maybe even bigger.

Maybe we'll see a National NASA TT Series.

The OH/IN region was anything but dead this year. The August MidOhio TT was a blast, as we had only race groups and TT for Sat/Sun and there were some 35 cars on track for TT (can you say "almost wheel to wheel"?).

I think the minimum we had any event was 5 or 6, but usually we had 10+ cars at each weekend. The season standings (not the latest) are also online at http://www.racenasa.com

We were far dead in the OH/IN region this year. I even had people asking me about joining NASA towards the end of the season just so they could start running HPDE next year to work into TT.

If we ever start a National NASA TT series and I have not gone to full racing (my ultimate goal), you can count on me to be there. I started running TT for the purpose of getting track time so I would be a better driver when I went racing. I think there are a lot of people using it as a stepping stone to racing. It's a great way to learn differnt tracks and to learn how to handle a car in race-like conditions while remaining safe.

245/45 17 front stock upgraded to 275/40 17 front

245/45 17 rear stock upgraded to 315/35 17 rear...

So do this mean +1 total or is it +1 per size increment combining front & rear for +10 total?

If that ever happens, then I'm up the creek without a paddle, too, because 7 points would upclass my car yet another class - to an impossible class for me to compete in the way the car is setup.

1988 Saleen Mustang stock vs. my setup:

stock Front 225/50/16 upgraded to 245/45/16

stock Rear 225/50/16 upgraded to 275/45/16

• 6 months later...

I read, "Plus or minus sizing of wheels/tires (for each 1" of diameter)". I see nothing about section width, so according to this, if you're still running a 17 of any cross-section, it shouldn't cost anything. Yes?

• National Staff

Dan,

Again, you've found something on the TT calculator that is being changed. There is no +1 point assessment per inch of diameter, just +1 whether there's an upsize or downsize in tire or wheel diameter. We changed the points assessments on tires to use the stock fender well as the reference point, and any tire with a width that exceeds the stock fender starts to get points. This also assumes that all other aspects of the inner side of the fender well, control arms, spring perches are stock in regard to tire clearance.

Dan,

There is no +1 point assessment per inch of diameter, just +1 whether there's an upsize or downsize in tire or wheel diameter.

So according to that he doesn't add points, or does .02" still count as an upgrade?

Stock all around:

245/45-17 = 25.68" tire diameter

New Tires:

275/40-17 = 25.66" tire diameter

315/35-17 = 25.68" tire diameter

I'd think the rule should read "per inch of diameter and/or per Xmm of section width"

Dan,

Again, you've found something on the TT calculator that is being changed. There is no +1 point assessment per inch of diameter, just +1 whether there's an upsize or downsize in tire or wheel diameter. We changed the points assessments on tires to use the stock fender well as the reference point, and any tire with a width that exceeds the stock fender starts to get points. This also assumes that all other aspects of the inner side of the fender well, control arms, spring perches are stock in regard to tire clearance.

Thanks, Greg. So theoretically you could go from a 14-inch wheel with a 185-series tire, to a 16 inch wheel with a 225 series tire, and only be charged +1, correct?

• National Staff
Dan,

There is no +1 point assessment per inch of diameter, just +1 whether there's an upsize or downsize in tire or wheel diameter.

So according to that he doesn't add points, or does .02" still count as an upgrade?

Stock all around:

245/45-17 = 25.68" tire diameter

New Tires:

275/40-17 = 25.66" tire diameter

315/35-17 = 25.68" tire diameter

I'd think the rule should read "per inch of diameter and/or per Xmm of section width"

Correct, he does not get points for upsizing by 0.02 inches of diameter. We will need to name a specific number to the rules that triggers the assessment, but at this time, it seems that any upsize or downsize of a tire or wheel by one inch or greater will be assessed +1 point. The upsizing and downsizing is assessed because it is functionally a change in final gear ratio. With your example, it is very likely that the 315 series tire will trigger a points assessment for sticking out past the stock fenders.

• National Staff

Thanks, Greg. So theoretically you could go from a 14-inch wheel with a 185-series tire, to a 16 inch wheel with a 225 series tire, and only be charged +1, correct?

Correct, as long as the tire doesn't stick out past the stock fender (with no mods necessary for "clearancing").