Alignment for FWD with solid beam rear axle

JT191

Is there any way to modify a solid beam rear axle so that toe and camber can be adjusted, other than shims?

By solid beam axle, I mean that there is a single rigid rear assembly, usually a triangular beam across the width of the car, with two attachment points to the frame, and usually rear shock absorbers attach to the assembly behind the rear hubs. I think these are also called swing axles. This is the standard rear suspension on many GM FWD cars.

So far as I can tell, shims are the only easy way to adjust, but do not allow for fine tuning at the track. The only other option I can come up with is to use a torch to heat and bend the axle.

I would love to have some kind of turnbuckle assembly to adjust toe and camber, but can't figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions?

OK, so the torch and lever method sounds like the favorite option. I was hoping someone had an idea to cut the hub mounts off the beam and reattach it on a two dirction hinge with a couple spherical rod ends on a turnbuckle. Something that could be fine tuned and adjusted between street and race. I've been mulling over the idea for many months and can't come up with anything that wouldn't be too dangerous to try.

I went through the SRSVW website, and saw only shims and a lot of pages under construction. If they are offering something other than shims, please post a direct link, because I am not seeing it.

what kind of car are you working with?

I still must quote myself.

I went through the SRSVW website, and saw only shims and a lot of pages under construction. If they are offering something other than shims, please post a direct link, because I am not seeing it.

Yeah, the site is incomplete.

They DO know how to make a VW competitive though.

Give them a call.

Try this: 508.660.7974

SRSVW is a small race prep shop and they dont really keep up on the website. They dont respond to email either. If you want a fast VW they are the ones to talk to but call them for the best reults.

.... If you want a fast VW they are the ones to talk to ....

Exactly. My brother and I have been dealing and consulting with them for atleast 10 years now.