A Well-deserved Compliment for the 944-Spec Class

dcynkin

Hi Tim and all you Spec944 drivers,

I wanted to pay you a compliment, so here you go...

In December I completed my SpecMiata and attended the PCA TT wknd at Willow to shake the car down along with my friend and neighbor Chris Benbow who was breaking in his Spec944. There I met Mark Foley, Mats, bumped into Pete Yousko and Tim again --- not with my car --- and a few other nice Porsche drivers. I'd previously had exposure to Porsche racers while running a couple of POC TTs in my 968 (now in another home). It's really nice to meet friendly racers who support each other and get along well. Additionally, it's admirable how much Tim gets involved, encourages others to participate and even entices contingency sponsors...and holy smokes!....Tim's on top of every forum that discusses the class and is a good representative with helpful input and good humor as well. (Okay, Tim...you really do need to get a litte time away from the computer....but still, your enthusiasm and helpfulness is really nice to see.) Your web board is active and you all keep each other up to date and make a welcoming environment. I notice this, because the class I just started racing in is really lacking in that communication and friendly nature. It's a large class, very competitive, and not really inviting for newcomers, other than the affordable cost. In addition to some rough drivers, it's full of people pointing fingers at others, accusations of cheating, and a general lack of cohesion other than the specs we run under. These are my impressions after the first few races. Heck, at Cal Speedway in March, I took 3rd in Sunday's race and no sooner did I walk over to shake the 2nd place guy's hand then the 4th place guy walked up and accused me of cheating--unreal. Now, not everyone was like that, but it seems like there are too many, and from talking to some other drivers in my class, it adds another dimension that's pretty negative and unnecessary. Some people tell me "hey, that's just racing." Coming from a ski racing background, where I was a team captain and coach years ago, I know how important it is to make a welcoming environment while striving to reach higher levels of performance. When approached with balance, it makes for great competition, growth in numbers, friendships and learning, and most importantly...fun!!! You guys are doing it right in my opinion, and the way you conduct yourselves is worthy of applause. As your class grows, keep things going this way. This isn't pro racing, so even though you may strive for that high level of driving performance, keeping the fun, communication and comaraderie is truly valuable. And, it's what club racing should be all about. Good job guys!

Dave Cynkin

SpecMiata #23

San Diego

Dave thanks for the nice words.

I like to think of this class as place were we can hangout in the paddock and tell stories about this that and the other thing. The go out on the track and race each hard and clean then come back into the pits and yap about all night.

I really like to consider this a fun friendly yet competitive atmosphere. I think that we have been doing a good job routinly help each other out with tech support and driving support. For us as a growing class its all about the fun and welcoming those new guys in the fold. From perspective of one of the faster guys I want to see more guys at higher pace. That means more guys to race with. I really hate to see other spec guys struggling with car prep, set-up, and some of the driving basics.

I have to admit that there are somethings that you just keep to yourself once guys get up to speed. You can't tell them EVERYTHING, but enough to get them close and competitive. They have to pick-up the rest themselves and you are left with fighting hard and looking for more. Thus everyone gets better.

Friendly competition on budget! That is what 944-spec is all about!

I agree...

Posted a few weeks back about my first experience with the group at buttonwillow (4/3 and 4/4). The word "cheat" never seems to come up and it really does seem like a group of very helpful guys. If it was not for the attitude and encouragement of a lot of guys from this class, I would have probably bailed on the whole idea of getting back on the track this year.

Seriously, think about coming over the the 944 spec group. I saw the same thing at Buttonwillow with the Miata's )including a couple of challenges and guys on the dyno defending their cars.

I raced my supercharged miata before and loved the car, but actually the reputation of the spec-miata attitudes turned me towards spec-944, and the fact I can fit my noggin into it, below the top of the roll-cage (which is a good thing ). I still love the miata and race it in auto-cross, and there are many great miata guys, so not knockin' them in general.

Right now, it's easy to be tight and close for us here, but I think we'll need to really remember this when the group grows and becomes more and more competitive. That's when tensions tend to run higher and hotter. In a week or two, I'll be out there with my new car, and will be doing what I can to contribute in this way.

s

The tensions might get a little stronger due to the competitive nature of most people....let's hope it's all kept in perspective!

I wonder if having $$ and tire bucks out there for our class will change the attitudes once new hotshot drivers join. Steven, does the miata spec class have a contingency program or other set-up fo drivers to get $$?

Jason, I believe it depends on the organization, but yes, I do believe there are certainly some that offer both $$$ and tire bucks.

Of course, in any group there are good apples and those that can make the whole batch smell, so I'm certain there are many great guys in the spec-miata series' who love to drive and compete cleanly.

s

A few choice lines were on the tip of my fingers, but I still don't know you all well enough to start with the smack talk...so thanx for filling in Dylan.

s

Kangaroo-wrestlin', billabong-swimin', dijerie doo-blowin', vegemite-eatin' Aussie!

Sounds about right to me, what's ya point?

What happened to the post regarding the lack of truth stated by Dave.

It was moderated. That should be between you and he off-line and definitely not in the 944 forum.

The other posts have been moved to the SM forum- you can discuss them there.