Status of mentor program?

zuperdave

Hey, there. I drive the red 92 Honda Civic VX hatchback #192 in NorCal HPDE 1/2. I am totally hooked on high performance driving and racing, especially Honda Challenge .

I'm interested in applying for a competition license when "the time" comes and continue to look for seat time and someone to coach me, bring me up to speed as it were, in the nuances of NASA and racing. I saw the reference to a mentor program on the NASA website and have sent at least two messages to the address indicated, one prior to Laguna Seca in February and another prior to Thunder Hill in March, hoping to hook up with a mentor, but have never received a reply .

I know how difficult it can be to get volunteers ... I'm wondering if the NASA mentor program is alive or if I'm on my own .

See you at Sears on May 23

Dave R

I had read somthing about that program but never seen anything done about it..

you could do what I did.. I just hung out in HC section of nasaforums and talked to the HC guys every time I saw them at the track.. All the HC guys I have talked to are very cool and want to help out other racers..

They have shared driving tips with me and even gone on ride alongs when they could...

The # 1 thing i can suggest tho is a in-car camera! that has helped me so much.. after the session or weekend i will watch my laps over and over.. I see mistakes that I made and work on not doing them next time..

are you going to be at T-hill may 1-2?

you could do what I did.. I just hung out in HC section of nasaforums and talked to the HC guys every time I saw them at the track.. All the HC guys I have talked to are very cool and want to help out other racers..

They have shared driving tips with me and even gone on ride alongs when they could...

I would say the mentor program is just a formalization of a tradition that you can already find in place, and that is racers helping racers. You liked our mentoring right Brian?

Go find a series you want to run in, or a car like yours that is racing and start asking questions. Also the HPDE instructors will always be happy to mentor. I would ask them too. And if honda challenge is your thing, then stop by the GOTO:Racing paddock and talk to us. We love company. red/white/black honda and acura #'s 6 and 44, next to the big motorhome. See you at T-hill.

I would say the mentor program is just a formalization of a tradition that you can already find in place, and that is racers helping racers. You liked our mentoring right Brian?

That is what I was talking about .. It all started by talking to you and then pitting for you guys at the 25, now you cant get rid of me

you forgot about GOTO's car number 33

I was really hoping to get a response from someone in NASA administration (the competition committee or equal), on the assumption that they are interested in creating a better experience, especially more (better) competition, regardless of the class...

It's obvious that I'm a newbie. Being a newcomer, I hate to open a can of worms , but it sounds like this informal "support system" ("education," "indoctrination," whatever) you are suggesting for someone interested in becoming a "racer" is not really system at all, but a "learn as you go" program . The cynic in me would call it "another f***ing opportunity for growth." It sounds like what got E.T. going in Reno. (Note that I have no particular loyalty to any school at this point in my driving career...)

If you've been reading my (few) posts, you know that getting in over my head in this sport is the last thing I want to do. How do I know what I don't know, how do I know what I need to know? Hope I "luck into" a coach or someone else interested in helping me develop as a driver? The forums are good for discussion, but everyone has their own opinion: which one is the "correct" one for me and how do I know? Trial and error is expensive, disappointing/discouraging if it does not produce the results I expect, and potentially dangerous if it does not work the way I expect. Furthermore, some of us are more adept at introducing ourselves in the paddock than others, understanding and being able to apply whatever we are seeing and hearing vis a vis the car and racing techniques, and more or less observant of what's going on in a race... (I guess that's why we move up from HPDE1 to HPDE4 to competion, although I hear the jump from HPDE4 to competition is dramatic...) Hanging out in the paddock, associating with someone who's racing in a class we think we might be interested in competing in, is not a bad idea, but it's a far cry from a "system" designed to develop qualified, competent drivers...

I had not planned on driving at T-hill next weekend, but will make a point of being there as an observer, don't know if it will be Sat or Sun.

Dave R

NorCal HPDE 1/2

Red Honda Civic VX hatchback #192

Dave,

The Nor Cal mentor program is somewhat informal, but still useful. Right now it needs a new leader. Evan Ginsberg did it for a long time but he has stepped down. Without a good leader, no program will do well. So maybe this message will spark some interest in taking over the position.

In the mean time, you can call me and I can help you. My door is always open.

Jerry Kunzman

Regional Director

If you've been reading my (few) posts, you know that getting in over my head in this sport is the last thing I want to do. How do I know what I don't know, how do I know what I need to know?

The fact that you know you don't know is one of the most important steps(trite, I know). With this attitude, you are much less likely to make costly mistakes with getting involved.

Furthermore, some of us are more adept at introducing ourselves

Hi Dave, I'm Chris. Come chat at T-hill.

Hanging out in the paddock, associating with someone who's racing in a class we think we might be interested in competing in, is not a bad idea, but it's a far cry from a "system" designed to develop qualified, competent drivers...

I myself am fairly new at this. It was only three years ago that I was at my first HPDE trying to get the same questions answered. I made almost the exact same request of Jerry that you made, because I like to do things right the first time. Lack of any real examples caused some pretty comical and dangerous "fabrication" on my part. (Ask Barry Hartzel about "the Celica" ) The real answer is to ask TONS of questions, look at some cars, ask tons more questions, then ask all the stupid ones you were afraid to ask. I volunteer to answer them. Then come out to the races and don't just watch the race. Watch one team or driver. Watch evering thing they do all weekend and talk to them alot. Soon the picture of what you will need to race will become clear in your head. Without teachers, you need to get some experience, and that includes WATCHING others race. Again, I invite you to our paddock. Lots of soda all the time...

I had not planned on driving at T-hill next weekend, but will make a point of being there as an observer, don't know if it will be Sat or Sun.

Just make sure you make one of the days. Come hang out with the HC guys, and bring a pen...

Dave,

I'm Derek and one of the Honda Challenge runners. The Locks are a great family and you should take them up on hanging out. I'd also like to extend the invatation for you to come over and hang out with us. You can't miss our bright yellow car and I'll be parked next to the Locks. If you bring a pen, don't allow Chris to charge you for his autograph.

Derek

Dave,

Come on out to Thunderhill. You & I have had a few email conversations. Honestly, I didn't volunteer to mentor you as there is a lot on my plate @ the moment. I don't want to commit & not be able to follow thru. I will help you out as much as I can though. Derek is my teammate/co-driver. We have helped out the Locks & now Brian is beating us!!

As Derek said, the Locks are a great group. In fact, everyone in Honda Challenge is pretty friendly.

Derek already invited you over to the trailer. I will second the invite. I won't be there on Sat during the day but should be there all day Sun.

BTW, I think that I will be @ Sears on May 23rd helping out a friend who has crewed for us. If I go, you are welcome to any help I can give.

Furthermore, some of us are more adept at introducing ourselves

Hi Dave, I'm Chris. Come chat at T-hill.

Hi Dave I'm Brian. I'm also a future (near future) HC racer. You can find me pitting next the Locks (I see a patter here). Come by and chat.. all the HC'ers are a great bunch.

Lots of soda all the time...

mmm... soda.

Wow I hope I can count on this kind of support once I'm trying to beat you!

I'm estimating I'm at least 6 months out, track and car budget considered probably more like a year, from being licensed. Looks like I can run time trials sooner.

Chris and Brian, the wife says no more goodies for my car until she has a hot tub, otherwise I would have already made you an offer on your CRX! Fortunately, I have a neighbor who is a general contractor. He came over the other day to sketch out some concepts/rough plans for the deck and start generating a quote. He lives right across the street, so once he starts he'll have to complete it, 'cause he won't be able to hide! Maybe I'll be in the parts market sooner rather than later after all...!

Anyway, I will definitely make an effort to see you at THill, pen and paper in hand and mind open!

Dave R