ARE JEGS CAGES LEGAL

JW Racing

as the title says,i am wondering if the jegs cage kits are legal, they are 1-5/8 .134 wall mild steel.but i can seem to find if the tubing is DOM or not.

anyone know if they are made of legal material? before i buy one..

NHRA does not require DOM tubing. Typically if a "kit" cage is made to meet drag racing specifications, it wont meet road racing specs. Some race supply companies will offer DOM kits as an upgrade. Jegs does not sell DOM as they are just offering the cheapest solution that meets NHRA standard.

Sorry.

http://www.cscracing.com/ck2.htm

DOM will set you back less than $600 shipped and everything is precut and notched. All you need to add is the rear bars to the shock towers and you're set. I wish I went this way. It would have been preferred to the 65 hours of work I did to turn a pile of tubes into my cage.

.... turn a pile of tubes into my cage.

Very funny.

My cage was more like....a pile of tubes and then "SHAZAM !" there were a couple bent ones and then "SHAZAM !" we had the notcher set up.....and "SHAZAM !" we had the mounting spots cleared......and this went on and on and on and on and on and on.....for what seemed like months.....but it was just 5-6 days in 100 *F August heat that made it seem that way.

I am not sure where the original poster is located, ( Where in gods green earth is "Dust cloud"....? Is that western BF Egypt ?) but there are many companies that offer kits exactly like those in the link above that may be closer, there for offering a savings on shipping. I would be interested to here from other people that have ordered from them and know that the ordering process was quick and easy to the door, no hassles.

I would think the biggest question mark would be are they in compliance with the CCR? To answer this, you would need to see one firsthand to make sure it meets all the rules (i.e. no bends in the rear down tubes, max four bends in the main hoop, diagonal in the plane of the main hoop, etc, etc...)

I would think the biggest question mark would be are they in compliance with the CCR?...

... Jegs does not sell DOM...Sorry.

There is your answer for the jegs unit.

CCR requires DOM.

as the title says,i am wondering if the jegs cage kits are legal, they are 1-5/8 .134 wall mild steel.but i can seem to find if the tubing is DOM or not.

anyone know if they are made of legal material? before i buy one..

For Race Tech iam pretty sure it would be Illegal.

TRY http://www.ioportracing.com Need to check if the tubing is seemless, the cages that Jegs and Summit sell are are most likely ERW/ mild steel they are not DOM, I know cause I have a 10 point ERW in a pile in my garage 1-5/8 .134 you can also tell from the $200-$300 price range, you get what you pay for. If I had to do it over again I would have had a custom cage welded instead of a the one from IO Port but now I know.

• 4 months later...
Question: How does the inspector tell the difference?

Between ERW and DOM? Specialized tool (bent paper clip) that slips through the required drilled inspection hole in each tube and detects the protruding seam weld in ERW.

Question: How does the inspector tell the difference?

Between ERW and DOM? Specialized tool (bent paper clip) that slips through the required drilled inspection hole in each tube and detects the protruding seam weld in ERW.

lol High tech! I was expecting an ultrasound or some other metal inspection device.