Racing tips. Use at your own risk!

Tim Comeau

I've heard it before and now I've tried it and believe it.

1. Set your front Koni's full soft at Willow. The car was much more compliant through turn 2. I'm on 350 lb springs.

2. Index your spark plugs. Tip pointing to the exhaust valve. I read from a "reputable source" that this showed 4 hp on the dyno. True? Mine aren't yet.

Let's make the whole class faster! (so we can get away from those pesky chic cars!)

Haha, yes I also heard from a chic-car racer, that they saw 2-3rwhp gain from indexing the plugs.

They also saw 2-3rwhp difference between plug wires.

Yes, even a hp or two comes from certain oils vs. mineral, which may seem tiny, but added up with a few other points of 2-3rwhp gain, it can become significant in our low hp and relatively light cars.

s

Tim, why would pointing the plugs towards the exhaust valves help? I would think if it made any difference at all that pointing them away from the intake valves would be best, so that they don't shroud the intake charge from the spark

Sparticus,

I'm not sure of the combustion chamber science behind it, but I'm sure they said to point the tip towards the exhaust valve. I guess this doesn't apply to those new-fangled 4 prong plugs!

This is one of the tests that I had done on one of my 100 dyno runs with my former 944Spec car.

Indexing the plugs didn't make a difference on my dyno tests.

BTW....We also tried some free Motoul over the 15/50 Mobile 1. Nada.....I digress

Indexing plugs on a 500 WHP V8 might make a difference...let see .001 percent of 130WHP ??? also what is the design of the cyliner head that had the improvement, but I'd like to see some other dyno runs on Spec cars. On my test using the same new plug but just indexed it gained nothing.

Maybe we did it wrong but I think Tom/Peanut is right the open gap goes to the intake.

Just think with Platnum 4's you now have 4 ground straps to block the intake charge but it probably makes up for it with the increased compression of the volume reducing "4 straps" or if you use indexing washers does it reduce volume?

Paul

HC2

Sorry, guys. I can't find the article I was quoting. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm very leery of dyno test results unless I'm right there and it's all done scientifically.

Test base line.

Test the change.

Retest base line.

I guess there's just been too many guys claiming hp gains from their products! That's left me with a healthy amount of skepticism!

So your saying the guy that sold me the spark plugs that increase HP by 20 was lying?? Damn I'm such a sucker!! I did hear of a guy with NOS charged air filters. How about the Tornado?? The box says it will increase performance and HP and mileage. (Of course your results may vary) How about teflon coated bearings to reduce friction?

Ah forget it. I'm just going to drive. At least my car looks good!! Chicks dig the blue.

M&M colors would be great. Like Easter eggs. Remember the IROC Porsches?

Just make it something different, Dylan. Please..................

Hey, at least I did it myself. How "hands on" where you guys? Well, Timmy was hands on but I'm not referring to his car at this point!