Banished the Gremlin!

David J Marguglio

At the risk of screwing myself, I believe I have finally banished the gremilin. Though I changed a lot of things all at once, my best guess is that is was the coil. I spoke with an engineer (no, not the train type Dylan) at Nology who explained that from the symtoms that I described, it sounded like a problem that they have seen many times. That is, after as a coil ages (mine was probably 20+ years) the insulation inside breaks down. When the coil gets too hot it will cause missfires. Gents, this is a pretty cheep item and a breeze to replace. Dont overlook it.

You mean this type of coil right, the ignotion coil?

http://www.smartcart.com/Paragon/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=944ICoil

ign_coil.jpg

My car is still doing the fuel pump cut out. So I'll start with the relay and then go from there? It's seems to be only when I let off the revs? And not noticeable on the track due to the heel/toe keeping the revs up. But on the street, it cuts out when going down through the gears? Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

Dylan.

OK it's not the Fuel Pump Relay, I just swapped that and the same issue. Is there anything else the controls the fuel pump? It cuts out for a split second at idle?

Thanks,

P.Dilly.

Sorry for the Hijack Marguglio.

Not at all Peanut. Mi posta es su posta. Are you sure the fuel pump is okay? Have you checked the connections at the pump? When you say that the pump is cutting out, do you acutally hear it cut out or you think the fuel pressure is cutting out? Try putting a fuel pressure gauge on the end of the fuel rail and watch for fluctuation. Check the fuel screen in the tank.

I put a new... hang on , let me qualify. The mechanic I paid much dollars to was asked to change the screen in the tank, a new filter and then a 1-2 month of pump. The pump was not noisy at first. But, is now and it cuts at out the pump. I have a new pump on the way so, we will see if that is the problem?

Try putting a volt meter (pos and ground) on the pump and run it. See if the power is interupted (or varies) before you replace the pump.

Can you really hear the fuel pump? What about the air flow sensor box?

Do you mean the air flow meter? The pumps seems to be cutting out more now? Yesterday I drove up to get an oil change and the car cut out completely twice. So this is a further extension of what it was doing before? I need to look that the NEW parts I bought were actually installed. I'll be a tad upset if they are not? Expescially as I have not got my old parts back.

P.Dilly.

Hi Guy's,

I have an 87 944 not a spec but I do auto-x and TT with the SD region. Tim knows me (Carolyn T. Hayes)

Problem, car cranks but won't fire it started in Dec 03 when I came back from the TT at Willow.

I've been able to drive it off and on sence then but this is what I have replaced 1) coil 2) cap & rotor 3) fly wheel sensors both of them. After I replaced the sensors the car fired and ran good for about two weeks. Then one morning leaving for work the car fired idled for about 30 seconds and just cut off it didn't sputter like fuel it just simply cut off. Now the trouble really begans when I go to try and start up again back to the old problem cranks but won't fire. Now I'm really stumped, but how I just replaced the fly wheel sensors what now I asked myself? Then I would sit and wait for about five min and try to start it up again and guess what, the car starts and idels just fine and I'm off to work. I would run great for a few days and bam samething happens again car idles 30 sec then just cuts off can't restart cranks no fire. It is always hit and miss, never know what the cars mood is when I get in it to drive.

So I have only two options left air flow meter or computer chip that could be causing my problem. Please help with any suggestions. The next step for me (my boyfriend) is to take the air flow meter off car take it apart and see if he can clean anything that might be reading something wrong.

Anyway thanks for reading my post hope I didn't bore you with my gremlin story just thought someone could help.

Carolyn,

Were any changes made to the car for the Time Trial at Willow?

Did you have any off track excursions?

Loose connection in wiring harness or system ground?

I had a very similar problem with my S2. Works great for awhile and then would crank but not fire. It's been running great since I replaced my DME relay. Ebay usually has them. Use this link and try the jumpers for the relay as a bypass. It'll get you running and verify if it's the relay or not.

http://www.frwilk.com/944dme/

Good luck,

Don't forget the problem I had with bad wiper tracks in AFM. They were worn causing intermittent power loss. Eventhough I gave the car throttle it would just not run.

I found a Simple fix on FR Wilk's site.