Roll Bar Requirement?

shamblen

I recently joined NASA and would like to attend the next HPDE at Infineon Raceway, but I have one question about the equipment that's required to participate. I have a 2007 Lotus Exige S, which comes standard with a targa top (removable section of the roof above the driver and passenger seats). Since the roof is partially removable, do I need to install a roll bar or would the frame that surrounds the rear window and firewall be enough to satisfy the safety requirements? I would like to be able to race with the top off, since my helmet touches the headliner when the roof is installed.

I recently joined NASA and ... I would like to be able to race

Thats an easy one. If you want to race, you will notice that the NASA CCR requires a full cage for all cars used in competition.

...with the top off, since my helmet touches the headliner when the roof is installed.

Perhaps look into a comp seat and attach it as close to the floor as possible, thus giving you more head room.

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I know another new member looking into bringing a new lotus to run in HPDE and we are curious about NASA's ruling on this.

Does the car have sufficient roll over protection? Can the car support it's own weight upside down? S2000's have tubes in the A-pillar and around the windshield as well as the functional roll bar behind the head rests. Carrera's have popup bars, Corvette's don't.

I've seen S2000's and Porsche's run with tops down, but never a Corvette. So my question to you is what is the roll structure of the Exige?

Since I've seen several on the track, my guess is it's pretty good given the T-top nature of the car. I would think you'd need to have the roof on though unless you have a bar. That's the ruling I've seen on removable sun-roofs in the past.