Alright. Who's got a 1987 944 owners manual?

Tim Comeau

What's the hp figure and compression ratio from the factory owners manual. Not some website where it's easy to transcribe incorrectly, a factory source.

My 1987 924S shows 147hp and 9.7:1 comp. ratio.

Ok thanks guys.

Dylan, did you get that?

Excellence was Expected quotes the 88 944 as 10.6:1 CR and 158 hp.

Joe, I'm being lazy now. Do you know off the top of your head if the 88 924S also got the more powerful engine?

I thought someone was telling me the 87 944 or 87 924S, one of the two got the engine also? Or was it the 88 944 and the 87/88 924S got the 5th gear. I'm confused, where's my medication?

Dallas, Where's the info from that says the 88 924S got the stronger engine?

Yeah, the 87 and 88 924S had the short gear like the 88 944.

To sum up

The Euro 944 82-87

All cars had 10.6 Compression ratio and were rated at 163 bhp DIN standard.

The Euro 924S 8? to 87

All cars were detuned 9.6:1 CR and 150 hp DIN

US Spec cars 83-87 (no US 82 model year cars)

All cars had 9.6 or 9.7:1 CR (I forget). This was done to meet US fuel quality and emissions standards. It was done with a larger dish in the piston to achieve a lower compression ratio and a revised DME to control this. US spec cars run stock on 87 OCT gas. Rated at 143 to 147 hp SAE or 150 HP DIN. The 924S in 87 has the exact same engine as the 87 944. The 87 924S did have a .829 vs .730 5th gear. All others were the same.

For 1988 ALL 944s and 924S fro US and Euro markets came with 10.2:1 CR and 158 HP DIN standard. US promotional material says the cars had 8 more hp over the 87 models. This increase compression was done my a smaller dish in the piston. Also all 1988 cars had the shorter 5th gear.

From what I know the Euro pistons had virtually no dish. US 9.6:1 pistons had LARGE dish that covers most of the piston head. 10:2 pistons have dime size dish.

Now that while we can shave the hear to increase compression this is NOT has effective as compression increased from a small piston dish. Reason is that a decked head changes the valve timming slightly and the shape of the combustion chamber. Overall this way of increasing compression has a limited HP benefit. Note also the EURO pistons are rare, expensive and ILLEAGAL! They can be detected by looking at the tops of the pistons if you pull a spark plug so don't trying and foolish.

Remember also that guys have tried farting arond with building powerfull engines. In the end the best on track results came from seat time and a well tuned suspension.

Paul B's progression from back marker to series champion came not from car or motor, but from seat time and driver skill. Same with Glenn G's increased speed.

Tim's speed comes from his driving skills and his latest round comes from learing the nuances of the 924S and from tunning the chassis to his liking.

My speed also comes from learning the car and fine tunning my driving style on the track. It has been said many times, that if the car feels stable and under control you are going too slow. These cars need to be put on the razor's edge limit to extract all the speed from them. Of couse then the hard part to run at that limit for an entire race not make a mistake!

Joe has it. My info is from my Porsche Technical and Specifications Manual. The Euro pistons are flat top and are considered a class increase in PCA to H prepared instead of I. As for me I am content with the HP my car has. I still have a riot and I enjoy turning the car not str8line speed anyway! Dal