Tire inflation question.

jerseybrandon

Hey guys and gals,

I have an inflation pressure question that may or may not be an easy answer

I have been using Kumho 710's on my race car in 205 55 14 size. These tires seem to like starting cold pressures of 32-35 up front and 27-30 in the rear, which I alter depending on the length of the course and how long I have to get heat in them. I do a lot of hillclimbing (usually just over 1 mile up to 2.5ish) so it is tough to find the "happy place" pressure. They seem to stick best at near 50 psi when hot, this was my observation at Summit Point where I had the chance to play with the pressures more due to longer race distance. While bench racing with a few other people they seemed shocked that they were sticking at that high of a hot pressure. Does this seem odd to anyone else? They were not blistering or wearing abnormally, but I do slide the car a lot and do generate a bunch of front wheel spin, so that may add more heat than most and thus higher pressure.

The car is a mk2 VW golf, it weighs about 2200lbs with me in it and makes 230hp at the front wheels and 220ft lbs of torque.

There is a second part of this question. I am moving to a 15" wheel and tire combo using 225 45 15 hoosier S03's. Can someone give me some insight on pressures on the hoosiers? A good starting point or an idea where these like to be when hot versus cold? Or, how they compare in their reaction to pressure change versus what I have experienced with my Kumho 710's?

Thanks for reading,

Brandon

• 4 weeks later...

damn. that is a good question. I would think that a hot pressure closer to 40 psi is a better target. 50 seems a bit excessive. Have you contacted Hoosier?