Harness bar outlawed?

crazy_ugly_coyote

I was just talking to some buddies and they were saying that a harness bar that attaches to the B pillar is illegal for NASA and SCCA use. Can someone please shed some light on this and please tell me where in the rule book this is. Thanks!

• National Staff
I was just talking to some buddies and they were saying that a harness bar that attaches to the B pillar is illegal for NASA and SCCA use. Can someone please shed some light on this and please tell me where in the rule book this is. Thanks!

They are still legal in NASA, although there could be one or more regions that have safety tech inspectors that found specific car setups that they didn't feel were safe. You may want to check out pages 23 and 25 of the NASA TT Rules.

• 3 weeks later...

fwiw, I wouldnt want to use just a harness bar and harnesses w/o a 4 point roll bar at minimum.

If the bar and harnesses are mounted in a safe manner there shouldnt be a problem. It is up to the tech inspector though.

I dont know anyone that likes using harnesses w/o roll protection.

/.02

fwiw, I wouldnt want to use just a harness bar and harnesses w/o a 4 point roll bar at minimum.

If the bar and harnesses are mounted in a safe manner there shouldnt be a problem. It is up to the tech inspector though.

/.02

+1

I would also throw in fixed back seats like Momo buckets to that list. Anything that can pin you upright in the car without protection from roof intrusion.

• 3 months later...

Isn't the issue not the bar itself, but the use of a 5 or 6pt harness that holds you straight up in your seat making your head the highest point without a rollbar?

Isn't the issue not the bar itself, but the use of a 5 or 6pt harness that holds you straight up in your seat making your head the highest point without a rollbar?

Bingo. Anything that does this is a big safety risk.

p.s. You also have to be carefull with bolt-in cages. They typically mount to the bellypan which is too soft to hold a car in a roll-over. The cage should attach to the structure of the car so that it can't punch through.

p.s. You also have to be carefull with bolt-in cages. They typically mount to the bellypan which is too soft to hold a car in a roll-over. The cage should attach to the structure of the car so that it can't punch through.

Anyone have any advice on how to hook the bottom feet of a bolt in 4 point into the actual structure. Mine attachs at the floorpan for the main hoop but the rear feet stradle the rear frame rails.

don't worry once the seat breaks, u won't be crushed. (how many actually get crushed by roof?). Impact kills, not the fall.

still better than the 3pt belts...

The cage should attach to the structure of the car so that it can't punch through.

Anyone have any advice on how to hook the bottom feet of a bolt in 4 point into the actual structure. Mine attachs at the floorpan for the main hoop but the rear feet stradle the rear frame rails.

You could make larger mouting plates that encapsulate the subframe utilizing bolts through the flanges on the 4 point to hold it all together. This is done regularly and one is only limited by the imagination.

I'm one - I didn't use to but now am ok with it after the likes of Joe Marko stated that it is far more likely that you will be injured by falling down out of a 3 point (if car is upside down) than due to a roof crush.

http://www.justracing.com/seminar_archives/viewtopic.php?t=5

cheers,

bruce

/.02