Bushings for late car

Steve Rea

OK, I'll be swapping the suspension within a week and would like to replace the bushings with polyurethane or delrin while at it. I've read a couple rennlist posts about the Weltmeister tearing up and that there's no Delrin available for the late models.

So what are you guys running?

Stock?

What bushings should I be looking to install?

Thanks a lot!

Steve

Nope...

Jason bushings must be non-metallic. They can be stock, or any aftermarket material that is non-metallic. This leaves us open for anything short of monoballs. Monoball's are pricey the rest are resonable.

With respect to the late control arms.

Check in on Rennlist. There was some talk about Delrin for aluminum arms. I am not sure of the status. The reason delrin exists for the steel arms is that I was using Weltmeisters and even the "new and improved red" ones at the crossmember mount would not stand upto the braking loads at PIR. I eventually had Paragon & Racer's Edge make-up some. That is why they exists. They were also working on a delrin caster block, but ran into tolerance problems. Basicly the stock arm (VW parts) have too wide of tolerance range to make use of this material in the caster block. So I am using Weltmeister reds there will good sucess.

The aluminum arms are of a different design at the cross member mount and I believe the weltmeisters would do the job there on our cars. I think the main issue was the localized shape of the steel arms put alot more stress on the outer ring of bushing eventually causing it to rip off. Most stock rubber ones are no better and the arms eventually contact the crossmember. I don't believe the Al arms will put the same local loading on the bushings so I'd bet the Welt's will do the job quite well.

In the rear casterblock there is no weltmeister unit. Best is the newer 968 factory part. It is pretty stout. Again Paragon has all these bushings.

For the rear I run the older Weltmeister black poly bushings. I have had good sucess with these with a couple years of use. I belive there is delrin avalible in some locations in the rear.

Thanks Joe, as always, for your prompt and informative responses. I ordered them today and basically followed your and Tim's suggestions.

Let's just hope all goes smoothly and we'll be up for the Tribute weekend.

s