[b]Thank You for a great weekend in MAM[/b]

kygirlnco

What a fantastic weekend at MAM! I’m a new driver (Blue STi) in the Rocky Mountain Region and had a great time learning so many new things. Great group of people made the weekend really fun. My instructor Bob Denton was fabulous; very calm, his instructions were clear and concise, informative, and he didn’t give me too many things to work in one session.

Jeff (with 2 little girls) was our download instructor. At first, I thought our sessions were too long but he really had a lot of material to cover. As the day/weekend progressed, it became clearer why we taking so much time: we had a lot to learn. Jeff’s passion, knowledge and expertise in racing really comes out in his classroom sessions. Thanks Jeff for taking the time to share with us (HPDE1 &2). We had a long drive back to Carbondale, CO and discussed the weekend and so many times I said “Jeff talked about that in our download sessionâ€

Thanks for a great time but I don't think myself and my friend (and other potential NASA sign ups I have been talking to about signing up) will attend another NASA event ...

Cheers!

Thanks for a great time but I don't think myself and my friend (and other potential NASA sign ups I have been talking to about signing up) will attend another NASA event ...

Cheers!

Why's that?

Various reasons ... I guess for what I want, open track days with a little more freedom and more track time is more my cup of tea. I had this discussion with a friend and we both came to this conclusion.

How much more time and freedom would you like to have?

What are you willing to pay for that?

What group did you and your friends run in at this last event?

Various reasons ... I guess for what I want, open track days with a little more freedom and more track time is more my cup of tea. I had this discussion with a friend and we both came to this conclusion.

There are some tracks that require you to have gone through certain or authorized programs before you are allowed on the course with any club and participate in any track days. Going through NASA'a HPDE program up to HPDE 2 will give you that form of certification as long as you hang onto your passport.

Plus I got a WHOLE lot more from the timed sessions, downloads and instructors than I got from all the track days I've participated. Mainly because there wasn't anyone there that I could go to. In NASA you know exactly who you can go to for help.

If you're only worried about getting track time then I don't think you're learning anything. Not to be harsh, but that is what I'm getting from what you have said. And there is a certain minimum of professionalism from any driver's conduct on and off the track.

I will try not to reply to 2 threads @ once:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15992&start=10

As I said before the reasons are various, that I may or may not discuss in the other thread. Please do not draw your conclusions from one aspect.

I'm not that good of a driver so why even bother. It seems you have to have the skills of a F1 driver to be in TT which I will never possess, so I better quit while I'm ahead. As Carol Smith said, "If you can't figure out the line for yourself you need to find another hobby".

Ok, so if you think you cant drive, then why are your friends and "other future members" not going to drive with NASA? That just makes no sense. Who just throws in the towel and then has friends follow them? Are you guys in a cult or something?

confused

Wow. In 20+ years of track driving, this is the first honest-to-God actual case I've ever seen of the proverbial "Other Sports Beckon". DaWorstPlaya, what competitive activities are you already good enough at to win without practice or training? Spend some time in HPDE focused on learning all you can and you'll be amazed at how quickly you attain the "F1-like" skills necessary to compete in TT.

A good instructor can turn a retired grandmother with 40 years of bad (and slow) driving habits into a competent, confident and safe track driver, despite battling lifelong "bad" habits and fear. A kid with no driving experience or skills? That's easy if he's willing to accept the lessons provided. Soaks it up like a dry sponge.

Don't go away because you "aren't good enough" (for TT) now. You've taken the first step by realizing that you're not among the world's greatest drivers after all. This is something I think nearly every young man tends to believe in his heart. Now realize that you can learn the same skills displayed in the TT sessions - in less time than you might think. And there are lots of folks at NASA events who will go out of their way to help see that you get there, if that's your goal.