Looking for information/discussion on the new Toyo R888

ffspecracer

I'm a little surprised more has not come up on this topic. For those that are wondering, Toyo has released a new tire, the R888, and rumor has it, it will replace the RA-1 in the near future.

I'd like to see someone from NASA HQ adress this and hopefully give us some idea what to expect.

Below I am listing a few questions as well as providing a few links to information I have found.

Questions

1. Will we continue the Toyo Contingency Program with the new tire?

2. Will RA-1's be "grandfathered" for a period of time? How long?

3. When can we expect the R888 to be allowed in a series that specs the RA-1?

4. Will the R888 also be the spec rain tire for spec series?

5. Rain tires last a long time. Will we be able to use RA-1 full treads for a number of years after the R888 becomes the spec tire?

This is all that comes to mind at the moment, but feel free to add your questions.

Information

Toyo Press Release

Availability Table

I have same interest and am amazed this has not come up at all also.

I love the RA1 but a new tire that looks like no shaving is required and would hopefully even be a little quicker would be great.

The key is are they quicker or not?? Sounds like yes but proof will be in 1st weekend times.

Would be great to use toyo bucks towards the new tires instead of having some older slower tires as well.

Quicker or not, it won't matter if this becomes the spec tire.

I, too, read it as they will be a little quicker and grippier (love that word) due to an improved R compound but we will see.

My understanding is that the R888 is molded at 6/32nd and will still need to be shaved for optimum dry performance.

I'm just unsure how they will work in the wet with the full depth and tread pattern.

From the press release: "Currently, the Proxes RA1 is the ‘official tire’ in several classes of both SCCA and NASA competition. Toyo is working with both organizations to incorporate the Proxes R888 in upcoming racing seasons."

I doubt you'll get much info until the dust settles on these negotiations.

...5. Rain tires last a long time. Will we be able to use RA-1 full treads for a number of years after the R888 becomes the spec tire?

Why wouldnt you just use your RA-1 wet tires for dry and use them up rather than keeping a tire for a period of time allowing it to dry rot and get old? I run my rains a few events and then shave them for dry use. My new tires then become rains.

Simple.

I havnt heard anything about the R888 yet. It will be interesting to see how they do.

I run my rains a few events and then shave them for dry use.

Who have you found that will shave a race tire that's been used on track? I've always heard they won't touch them because tiny embedded stones damage the cutter. Or do you have your own shaving machine?

Who have you found that will shave a race tire that's been used on track? ...

Radial Tire service in Md and I believe Phil's will also shave scrubbed tires. You have to get all the stones out. Dont drive in the gravel when you come off the track. Remove the wheels from the car and rub all the stones and sand out and you should be fine.

• Members

Questions have been posed with regard to the Toyo Tire Program since they are in the process of releasing a new compound called the R888. Indeed this tire will eventually replace the RA-1 but not until production of the new tire is sufficient to meet the demand of that particular size. Toyo does not expect all sizes to be available until the end of 2008. We have not yet gathered enough information to publish any details with regard to when the new tire will be implemented. However, you can expect to receive the same contingency benefits once the transition is made. We have meetings scheduled later in the month with Toyo so you can plan to receive more definitive news after the National Championship event in September.

Regards,

So can we run either tire then in 2008??

This may help it so some of us don't get left with a bunch of the old tire and then they get flooded with orders.

• 2 months later...
Questions have been posed with regard to the Toyo Tire Program since they are in the process of releasing a new compound called the R888. Indeed this tire will eventually replace the RA-1 but not until production of the new tire is sufficient to meet the demand of that particular size. Toyo does not expect all sizes to be available until the end of 2008. We have not yet gathered enough information to publish any details with regard to when the new tire will be implemented. However, you can expect to receive the same contingency benefits once the transition is made. We have meetings scheduled later in the month with Toyo so you can plan to receive more definitive news after the National Championship event in September.

Regards,

bump?