Need race advice for debut!

924sman

Guys at the List suggested I post here as it was found to be a good topic so here you go.

I am approaching my club race debut and looking for your first time experiences! I am not all new to racing as I am an old racer of the 2 wheel variety so there are similarities but want your experience when out the first time.

I hesitated to post here but since I do not run your Spec series but one individual felt it was "good reading".

TIA! Dal

Dal,

Made a bunch of comments on Rennlist, but as primer I will reiterate a few and add some.

In my first race all I wanted to do was to show that I belonged out there. Nothing crazy or stupid. No off course excursions. Lots of looking the mirrors. I was pretty nervious, but as it turned out I did pretty well. I expect to be passed over and over again, but held my own pretty well and even had some great racing with 2 other guys. Fun Fun Fun.

Now which of you newer guys wants to relate their experience?

How about some you that are going to be racing soon? Help a fellow 944/924 guy out!

Just keep it safe and sane and watch your mirrors. It takes a while to earn a good reputation as a racing driver, but only 1 bad decision to be labeled as a bad driver..............and that sticks for a long time.

While you're attempting a pass--" If in doubt, back out!"

Good communication from driver to driver is important. I almost always point faster cars by. I don't have to do this, and I won't let it interfere with when I shift, or brake, etc., BUT it let's the overtaking driver know that I've seen him and I'm expecting to be overtaken. That keeps us both safe.

When someone moves over for me, I ALWAYS give them a friendly wave from inside my car(right hand). If they don't, I give 'em a friendly wave, which usually includes a middle finger No, just kidding on that last one.

But car to car communication is really important.

Another point: get used to having an ongoing "relationship" with the corner workers. On the warm up lap and cool down lap, I wave to them. This helps me memorize where they are. You should be able to draw the track and show someone where the corner worker stations are. While racing, as soon as they come into sight, look ahead at them.

I also try to visually sweep the upcoming track for any spinouts, etc. We race in the desert out here in SoCal, so you can see for a ways. When I come over the hill in turn 6 at Willow Springs, I look all the way around the track to turn 9 because by the time I get there, I'll be doing 120mph. Not the time to realize someone's sideways across the course.

Just some thoughts...............Good luck racing!

I'm a veteran of three races and in addition to Joe's and Tim's comments I would add be predictable and hold your line.

Have fun!