PIR this weekend

AZ Coupe Jason

Well, I dont have all the detials for sunday and very limited for saturday.

The drivers were the following

-Tyler Thompson

-Jason Boles

-Steve Sapareto

-Glen Gormley

-Darrin

-John Ariano

-Kevin Kane

Well first off it was HOT!!! VERY HOT!!!! and the 944 were just not happy about that, Boles, darrin, and Ariano were having problems all day Saturday with the cars heating up. With all that, the drivers were over heating in the cars, it looked like a sea of empty water bottles in the garage. Tyler the race leader in Qualifing had a great race and stayed ahead all the way - the heat did effect everyones times from the feb event and had all of us 3 sec. off the Feb mark. Gromley did not quailfy in his spec car and decided to park the turbo and ran with us, he made some great passes in the start but had to pull out early do to a repeating failure in his rear wheel (the wheel bearing bolt came undone again!) John Ariano had some great qualifing and practice times but on about the 10min mark in the race his engine "went POP!" and coasted in to the oval. so he was out. The new Guy (Sorry cant remeber his name) had over heating problems all day and got a start in under his belt and got a few laps and called it good before he hurt the new car. Myself, I had been experining something new this last event, whch was not being a NASA official WOW!!! I know!! So I just drove and BS'ed all day it was great! But the car had much differnt day than I, the 944 over heated every session and I spent the time chasing my cooling problem I prayed for it to be cooler but it just got hotter! I thought I was ready to go the distance for the race and made it about 15 minutes when I looked over and I was at 240 degrees water! Needless to say I shut her down and it would not turn off, cause it was too hot. I also thought I had toasted my motor but she fired right up yesterday so all looks good. Tyler won and Steve took Second and Kevin took thrid. (Ithink)

Sunday was just Tyler, Steve and Kevin - I was not there.. so I dont know how it turned out!

Thats it for my crappy recap of the event! - oh yeah Joe P stopped by to say hello the Wife to be let him out of the house

Jason

Edited by Guest

Jason,

Couple updates from saturday.

Glenn was driving the his Turbo and Power Steering gave out. Turining that with big front stickies was a pain so when home to get his spec car. After starting 2nd to last in 20-30 car field he worked his way from the back to 2nd in Spec class and about 5-6th overall. Car was hooked-up good, but he was about 15 seconds behind Tyler who was having clean clear run 1st in class and 3rd overall. Then Glenn felt the wheel bearing go and pull into the pits. This was the same one he has fail twice before. He going to have a talk with his mechanic about this one again. Great race Glenn. It was fun to watch.

It was Hot running about 100F at race time. The new guy Darren was having some issues, but a new T-stat, pulling his A/C condenser, and cutting the front bar on spoiler should help him out.

Jon's problem was not motor. Or at least blown motor. When he came back in the pits he started the motor. Oil pressure was scray low at idle, but came up to 3 bar with a few rev's. No odd sounds from the engine. He was having a top end oil consumption issue and that might have been the cause of the smoke and shut down. He has plans to pull the head check things out, but it appears the bottom end is solid. He has an oil cooler and was Using Mobil 1. I suggested he switch to AMSOIL or Redline racing oils to maintain higher oil pressure in the heat.

Anyway it was a good chance to get out and see the guys and get close to the action. Yep wedding stuff has me busy, but I should be back running again this fall.

PS... the heat is why we in Az are not running again until September.

Don't you guys think it should be standard practice to put a fresh radiator in when prepping an old street 944 for racing? They get clogged up with insects, dirt, gravel, etc., on the outside, AND they get clogged on the inside from the crap in the water and corrosion.

yeah mine is all of 6 months old.. new water pump, Fresh water and water wetter, new radiator cap. Still running hot, also have a fan switch to turn it on early, 50w Mobil one with oil stabalizer, and 91 octane with additive. Not sure what else I could do?

Jason

Sounds great so far. I'm not sure how the higher octane gas will help keep the engine cooler, though. Jason, why don't we move this to a new topic? I'll bet the newer guys would love to hear the more experienced guys ideas. Ready,........go!

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys,

I was neglected in the writeups so I will add my 2 cents. It anyone say it was really HOT? I drank about 3 gallons of water and never peed each day. I qualified 2nd both days, about a half second per lap behind Tyler (damn - I still think he's light ). It was tough racing because all those damn Mini's kept getting between us. They pull us on the straights but we pile up behind them in the corners. Glenn did great but didn't make it to second place before his repeat wheel bearing problem since I never saw him and I held that position throughout both days. My engine ran hotter than usual but fine both days. The engine has now completed 3 weekends since the below the lower mark oil fright in the 2 hr enduro with no problems. Although there may be other good oils out there, I am now a fan of Amsoil as I am sure it saved my engine. I won't use Mobil 1 in a racecar again.