Experiences with very low engine compression with good head?

Steve Rea

Ok, we took the head off, cleaned it out of metal shavings, gunk and a good sized sliver of metal that made #4 have zero compression, put alcohol on the valve seats, which didn't leak, yet when we put it all back together, #3 still has only 50psi compression.

The block's supposed to only have 57k miles on it, so we don't expect it to be the rings, although one never knows. The springs are all good, with no bent valves.

Does anyone have experience with this or ideas???

Thanks,

s

OK, we've got a good lead, which I'll share as there may be someone in the future with a similar situation.

Since the engine's been sitting for so long without running, there's a possibility the rings are stuck in the pistons, unable to seal on the cylinder wall. So...you can put in about a tablespoon or so of Marvel Miracle oil through the spark plug hole, and turn it over a few times. Don't start it, just turn it over, in order to lubricate and loosen the rings.

Through the P.-Grape-Dilly-Vine, I've hear that my guy tried this and the compression jumped up significantly. So hopefully (big fingers crossed) we're clear for the next set of testing.

s

I my currnet motor sat for a long time before we built it. It's rings were stuck pretty good in the pistons. In our case well pulled them and cleaned everything throughly. One ring was so stuck that even after soaking for days it broke on trying pull out.

If the rings in #3 are that bad then you have alot of work to do.

Good luck