Engine plates legal for AI?

mwilson7

I'm gonna look like a total dumbarse, I realize this. What the heck is an engine plate?!?

Thanks for asking. I already filled my dumbass quota at work today and didn't want to ask.

Anyone?

It a plate that mounts to the front of the engine and to the frame. No motor mounts needed. Almost all GT1's & trans AM, circle track cars etc. use these. The motor plate then becomes a stress member and stiffens up the front of the car quite a bit.

Speaking of engine work, Jamie said something about a new motor in your AGS car. You putting an AI motor in it?

My "AI" motor is my AGS motor. I had to rebuild it after I popped the freeze plugs while the car was in cold storage. Not to bright, but I've never had the car out of heated storage before. It is a stock 93 Cobra long block with custom cam and stock Cobra intake making 300 rwhp so I am way heavy. I figure around 200 + lb's heavy. If I continue to run the AGS car in AI, I may put aluminum heads on it to take some weight off, but I'm not going to build a stroker and risk losing the reliability factor. It's just not worth it. I won a lot of races last year and a couple of them through attrition. I'll take them any way I can.

See you at Putnam.

Mark

Hey Shugg, are you under the impression (as I am) that Wilson and Tone are creating some sort of secret AI machine in a Bat Cave somewhere?

Engine Plate....? Good God.....

E Fisher #12

AI Mid West

Hey Shugg, are you under the impression (as I am) that Wilson and Tone are creating some sort of secret AI machine in a Bat Cave somewhere?

E Fisher #12

AI Mid West

Why is everyone under that impression? Wilson is having a baby, I am remodeling my house and we continue to race the red car. You guys worry too much.

E Fisher #12

AI Mid West

Why is everyone under that impression? Wilson is having a baby, I am remodeling my house and we continue to race the red car. You guys worry too much.

If you want to read about people worrying too much, read the posts in our Midwest group about my car.

It might be that posts in the past have stated that there was a modular motor being stuffed into the black93, or the posts that a super 347 was being built, or the posts that the 05 was going to be at Putnam that has some people curious. I would assume those posts were done for that reason. It makes the drama of last year with the yellow car seem small in comparison.

Mark

Man, that looks like an engine guillotine. Someone should tell Borton to get that thing off his car before he loses an altenator.

The mod motor would love that thing.

Tone and Wilson could build an F1 car to race in AI. They're still not gonna be any faster than Pearson (note: not a rip on Pearson... playing off a long-time duel).

Who's gonna be at BeaveRun? Unlike Team Wilstone, I DO have a surprise or two up my sleeve.

Edited by Guest

Tone and Wilson could build an F1 car to race in AI. They're still not gonna be any faster than Pearson (note: not a rip on Pearson... playing off a long-time duel).

Who's gonna be at BeaveRun? Unlike Team Wilstone, I DO have a surprise or two up my sleeve.

Actually if you ask Mr Pearson I passed him on the front straight at Summit Point last year

Which Beaverun race? The June one? Is the surprise that you are showing up?

When did I ever say anything about an 05?

I'll post a picture of something tonight.....

Man, that looks like an engine guillotine.

Ha, thanks for the laugh.

Team Borton: all kidding aside, nice job on the engine bay, looks cool. I can't wait for Putnam, it should be fun.

That engine has enough bling to even make Luna get a tear in his eye.

I like the belt number on the plate. I should have done that years ago. I keep forgetting the length of my belt.

My bling for this year are my new red G-Force belts. Pretty flashy.

I believe a picture is worth a thousand words.

The face has been changed to protect the innocent!

This is the before picture

05BIW.JPG

• Members

I don’t know who the innocent stud with the muscular physique is behind the pasted on face but the pasted on face looks like Brian Tone standing beside an 05 body in white. Where is the after photo. There must be an after or there can’t be a before. Never mind... we don’t want to see it anyway.

Wow. I for one am impressed (all joking aside). You guys truly are going to be the class of the field - I really can't wait to see it in person! That's some good stuff.

I only have two questions, besides the obvious, "How did Ford let you build an '05 already."

1 - Is that a carbon fiber, fiberglass, or aluminum cap? I don't think anything but the aluminum caps are legal for AI. Oh... wait a minute... AI is a sedan racing series. DOH!! You guys must have really missed the boat on that one!! Pickup trucks aren't allowed in AI!! (neither is that Ford Pinto in the background)

2 - Is that a genuine oak pallet holding up that '05 cap in white? If so, can I have it when you're done? I'm building some new shelving and that looks like some quality wood.

Which Beaverun race? The June one? Is the surprise that you are showing up?

I'm going to at the Beaver. But that's not the surprise. I don't want to build too much suspense so I'll just come out and tell you.

I cut the bumpers.

heh heh

Wow. I for one am impressed (all joking aside). You guys truly are going to be the class of the field - I really can't wait to see it in person! That's some good stuff.

I only have two questions, besides the obvious, "How did Ford let you build an '05 already."

1 - Is that a carbon fiber, fiberglass, or aluminum cap? I don't think anything but the aluminum caps are legal for AI. Oh... wait a minute... AI is a sedan racing series. DOH!! You guys must have really missed the boat on that one!! Pickup trucks aren't allowed in AI!! (neither is that Ford Pinto in the background)

2 - Is that a genuine oak pallet holding up that '05 cap in white? If so, can I have it when you're done? I'm building some new shelving and that looks like some quality wood.

Here are your answers:

1. It's the black fiberglass cap off Brian's truck. There was some talk of going Craftsman Truck racing but we have abandoned that project.

2. I would be surprised if it's actually oak. I do know that it's some cheap wood that splinters easy when you step on it by accident when backing up to take a picture.

[butthead on] Uh huh huh uh huh huh. Hey Beavis, Shugg said he's looking for "quality wood" and he's cut his bumpers to go to the Beaver. That's pretty cool. [butthead out]

-JWL